PDA

View Full Version : Best (most tunable) ECU to use for engine swap?

beaulanier
02-09-2014, 08:16 AM
I've put a 1.9TDi 1Z from a 1997 Golf into my 1987 T3 Bus. We used an ECU from a 1999 B5 Passat. As I retained the look of the stock analogue T3 gauges, we did not use the matching gauge cluster from the Passat. It is my understanding now that those electronic gauges communicate via CAN with the ECU and may possibly 'think' with it. Since I've not used them, CAN connection is unused from the ECU.

We were able to connect to the OBD-II port with the PC to initially set up the ECU/motor and clear codes, but later, were unable to communicate sufficiently to do a proper performance remap. Not sure what the reason was, the fella doing the remap just couldn't 'talk' to it.

A) Can this problem be solved with the existing Passat ECU, without its gauges?

B) Better yet, can anyone recommend the best year/model ECU to use with my swap conversion??

Cheers

adamss24
02-09-2014, 09:11 AM
You will have to write the new, performance map on a pair of chips and de-solder the old PCL chips off the ecu and solder the new ones. Best is to solder sockets as it will make tunning/flashing a bit easier ! No OBD flash capability with the 99 ECU...

beaulanier
02-09-2014, 10:19 AM
OK, no flash on the 1999 ECU, so what ECU can I get that is tunable, remappable, flashable via OBD to do the performance upgrades without hassling with all the mechanical soldering, socketing, and chips? This was my reason for posting this thread: Which year ECU to use?

I am no longer in UK, but traveling around Europe rock climbing, and cannot perform such operations on the ECU now. I COULD find another, flashable year ECU per this threads hopefully forthcoming adivse, and upon further advice regarding a tuner in Europe to go to, I COULD then get all this done.

adamss24
02-09-2014, 09:35 PM
2000-2001 audi a4 with AHH engine code, you would have to re-wire the car as the ecu are different. The AHH uses a EDC15 ecu, flashable trough OBD port...older are MSA15, chip tuning only !

beaulanier
08-01-2015, 11:39 PM
how hard is it to change my 80pin to 121pin? could I cut and splice a new plug, or would I really have to re-harness the whole rig?

Doctle Odd
09-01-2015, 12:23 AM
You'd need to do some mods to the 1Z engine too, nozzles, pump, turbo etc

adamss24
09-01-2015, 12:59 AM
how hard is it to change my 80pin to 121pin? could I cut and splice a new plug, or would I really have to re-harness the whole rig?
There are a few guides on how to convert msa15 to edc15 by using an adapter loom, unfortunately never done such thing even though i have a few cars that could do with a ecu swap !

beaulanier
09-01-2015, 02:33 PM
There are a few guides on how to convert msa15 to edc15 by using an adapter loom, unfortunately never done such thing even though i have a few cars that could do with a ecu swap !

Looks pretty complicated. I'd rather not get into serious harness work, as that is a part of the swap I didn't do myself.

You'd need to do some mods to the 1Z engine too, nozzles, pump, turbo etc

It already is mate. Stock ECU is strangling those mods.

Motor: 1Z
Injectors: .230
Turbo: 17VNT
Pump: Custom matched/tuned with DSSR high-flow cams

beaulanier
09-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Anyone try Viezu tuning? My situation is highly non-stock. I'd want a stage 4 or 5, wring all the power out of those mods I could get, and likely I'd want to road test and VCDS datalog myself, email the file to them, and adjust chip tuning to suit.

adamss24
09-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Anyone try Viezu tuning? My situation is highly non-stock. I'd want a stage 4 or 5, wring all the power out of those mods I could get, and likely I'd want to road test and VCDS datalog myself, email the file to them, and adjust chip tuning to suit.
I think they will strugle with chiptuning, unless you get someone to solder in new sockets for new chips then it's not an easy job... There are few old school chiptuners that can work hi/lo files and burn them on a eeprom programer !

Doctle Odd
09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I see your traveling in Europe. There's a guy selling chips on ebay I think he's in Bulgaria he offers a fitting service too. Zollaf, of this parish, bought one and has no complaints

zollaf
09-01-2015, 07:58 PM
i did indeed.