PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel bearing failure is it common on low miles b8 s line model ?

dazbo1972
30-08-2014, 12:50 PM
hello all has anyone experienced rear wheel bearing droning noises on there car with low mileage as my car has only done 69k miles :confused:

car is a 2.0 tdi b8 s line saloon sat on original 18 inch wheels.....had quite a few issues already with this car including multiple dual mass clutch/flywheel failures which i know is a common fault but never in my life have i had to replace wheel bearings on a low miles car.....once had a car do over 230k miles without any issues in this department,also looking at replacement rear bearings on the net it appears like there is 2 different bearings on the b8 platform i think ? anyone know if this is correct as not looked at mine yet but one looks like it comes as a bolt on 4 stud unit which looks easy to replace,however seen another listed that looks like needing a hub puller or press removal :confused: ......anyone done the rear bearings on a b8 if so could you share some info please many thanks daz.:D

richlean
30-08-2014, 01:48 PM
I had to replace a front wheel bearing at 50,000, though I have the 17" wheels. Pretty poor, really.

mina08
30-08-2014, 03:50 PM
if you have quattro, big job to remove the rear bearings

113brucey
30-08-2014, 09:07 PM
also chek rear tyres b8 are pro to droowning whe ntyes r low on tread swap front to rear and see if he probem is sill there

Pork
31-08-2014, 01:07 AM
⬆️ +1 what he said.
had exactly this on mine when I picked it up (from Audi!) and was convinced it was a wheel bearing.
I think it's referred to as saw-toothing or something like that.

dazbo1972
31-08-2014, 10:44 AM
good idea brucey i never give that a thought......rear tyres are a bit low on tread just over 3mm pirrelli's so will try putting the fronts on and see what happens.
defo worth a try before i start pulling the car to bits,cheers.

dazbo1972
31-08-2014, 10:58 AM
if you have quattro, big job to remove the rear bearings
mine is a s-line 2.0 tdi saloon 2008 early b8 is this a big job as well.....only thing i have noticed is on this car the rear hubs bolt off like 4 stud fitting but on later cars they do not have this 4 stud fitting,looks like you need a hub puller...just looked on mine and a friends 2009 and there both different his car having no bolts at rear of hub housing ?
looks like my hubs just pull off once 4 bolts removed unless i am missing sommat :confused:

dazbo1972
02-09-2014, 07:21 PM
UPDATE :

front tyres fitted to rear this evening and test drove......droning noise still there on o/s rear so bearing knackered,looks a easy job to change on inspection anybody done one :confused:
looks like rear caliper off and 4 bolts hold the hub in place,just not sure if it drops out or still needs some force to remove answers anyone thanks :D

Pork
02-09-2014, 11:14 PM
You'll need VCDS to remove the caliper I think...

sportq
03-09-2014, 11:05 AM
My B8 avant on 18" alloys has only one original wheel bearing left (NS rear). One front at 120k, the other front at 160k and just last month the offside rear at 175k. I blame the 18" alloys, my previous B7 was still on all the original bearings at 195k when I sold it but it had 16" alloys and a lot smoother ride.

Pete

tcc98
04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I have just bought an Audi A4 Avant 2010 on 67K miles and I had the droning noise at the rear which sounds like bearing noise, the more I drove it the more annoying it was so I decided to bite the bullet and fit 2 new rear wheel bearings.
Not a big job if you buy the kit I changed both in an afternoon the only pain is getting the main hub bolt off and on mine I needed a 19mm allen key socket which I could connect up to a 5 ft bar to get the leverage as they are very tight.

But the annoying part is that I took it for a test drive after and there's not much change so in my case it's not the bearings.

I see from this thread that the tyres could be a problem. mine are getting low I will try that next but there's still some life left in them so it will be later

Tony

Boy
04-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Why not try swapping fronts to rear to see if the noise abates?

tcc98
04-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Yes thought about that but as the tread on the front is as low as the rears I'm not sure if it will make any difference.

Tony

Boy
05-09-2014, 08:20 AM
It sounds as if you will be holding out till you fit your Winter set then! An ideal opportunity to buy Winters now and spend the winter safely driving, and sourcing a set of Summer tyres before Spring.
If you have not yet done so, I recommend that you read the "Winter Tyres" thread.

dazbo1972
05-09-2014, 04:17 PM
thanks for the posts on this subject........still non the wiser as to why my 2008 rear hubs are different to a friends 2009 ?
my car has 4 bolts on rear of hubs but friends car has none ????
defo must be 2 different rear wheel bearings on this model and mine looks like it may be easier as you can see how to remove the hubs from back axle by removing the 4 bolts,no idea how you pull the other apart as totally different to mine so glad mine is the way it is.........looks like yet another wasted weekend fixing this car... oh well it's only my spare cash & free time :( this car is like marmite love/hate relationship lol :biglaugh:

soon to be a time-served fitter all off the back of this motor LOL !!!

magt1000
07-09-2014, 07:23 PM
I've had one wheel bearing go on my car - front offside replaced at 155k - now 168k on the clock.

tcc98
19-10-2014, 03:21 PM
To continue with my problem which I have resolved.

I replaced both rear wheel bearings and the noise was still there.

It was so annoying that I did switch the fronts to the rear and vice a versa and when I took it for a run the noise switched from the rear to the front proving it was the tyres at fault.

The noisy tyres were Continental Sports and I have now replaced these with Michelin's (so I have the same all round) and the noise has disappeared.

So in conclusion it would pay to try switching tyres before chasing bearing problems.

Tony