PDA

View Full Version : Please help, clutch pedal operation.

Matt Wilson
28-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased an Audi A4 B8 2008 1.8 tfsi with 72k, I instantly had issues with the clutch, the clutch pedal operation would be notchy/creaky and would engage and release in stages rather then a smooth motion.

The garage I bought the car from recommended a new clutch and flywheel under there warranty scheme for used cars they offered, I agreed and they completed the work.

Since I've had the car back the clutch is very stiff to operate and after a few days started to creak and wasn't smooth to operate again, I returned the car and they said there might be some air in the system so would bleed it, I took the car again today and the clutch was fine for approx 3 hours, now it's gone back to the same usual nonsense.

Please can someone help, it's driving me insane now and I honestly think the garage I purchased the car from don't have a clue what the issue is.

Thank you,

Matt

Embisix
28-08-2014, 09:21 PM
I have a similar issue after the car has been standing for any more than a few days. On very rare occasions the pedal even sticks down and I have to hook it up with my foot. Everything is fine after a few miles and everything has warmed up.

I believe this could be an issue with the clutch master cylinder and, as mine has not gotten any worse, I think I'll try and put off any serious investigation until it's time to replace the clutch....

Redders2
29-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Slightly off topic but was just wondering how long a clutch is supposed to last? I know it depends on driving style but normal driving should give you well over 150,000 miles???

rafletcher
29-08-2014, 07:50 AM
150K?? No chance IMO. Half that perhaps, or a bit more. Or a lot less. Depends on how you use it.

Embisix
29-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Too many variables to determine how long a clutch would/should last.

If a car lives in town it could go at as little as 25k, if it lives on the motorway it could go to 200k and beyond. It all depends on how many gearchanges are made and how well executed they are :-)