PDA

View Full Version : 4.2V8 Exhaust Replacement

Conehead
21-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Hi all,

just thinking about changing the exhaust from cat back on my quattro, want it to have more of a V8 sound. Anyone changed theirs and what did you go for?, impressed or not?

Cheers

Steve

adamss24
21-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Milltek is quite popular, they do resonated and non resonated catback exhausts...

gupsterg
22-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Anyone changed theirs and what did you go for?, impressed or not?

Very few V8 4.2 owners I think, that same engine is also fitted to Touareg, Q7, A8 and modified versions to RS4 and R8 perhaps searching for threads with those models yield some results?

Also on wiki it's mentioned being fitted to the S5.

MattR77
23-08-2014, 07:19 AM
I fitted a scorpion stainless steel exhaust to a go faster fiesta (many yrs ago) which sounded really nice.
Certainly not the typical bean can boy racer noise that you got from other (cheaper) exhausts
Sound changed as well, quiet when 1st started up, getting louder as engine got warm !

MarkTM
24-08-2014, 12:35 PM
For my Jaguar I used these people

Custom Exhausts By Tony Banks (www.tonybanks.co.uk)

Like you that car has 2 x cats and the cost was a mere £299 inc VAT for a full SS system, more importantly it carried a lifetime transferrable warranty. As it's LPG converted it didn't (until this year) need Cats for MOT and the sound is...erm...biblical! Even pulled into a pub last year where (unbeknownst to me) there was a regional Aston meet. 10 of them came over to comment on the awesome sound :D I think how the price of this system compares with a Milltek :( Was a tank and a half of LPG (£60) and a day of my time.

For my A6 I chose these people, at their Taunton branch and cost £400, also with a lifetime transferrable warranty:

http://www.longlife.co.uk/

£450 and took them 2 days as a one man show, went for the quad look at the rear and an RS6 owning neighbour said it looked better than his...although we both admitted it didn't sound as good.

To my mind if you own an V8/V10/V12 half the joy is when it sounds like one, height of bad taste IMO to have a 1.6l and want it sounding like a supercar...when it will always fail :biglaugh:

WJW17
13-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Hi,
Wanted to do exactly that and eventually used Longlife in Carshalton London. Paid a lot of money for a cat back but the new exhaust made such an awful drone around 2k revs (where you spend quite a lot of time in the auto) that it was practically unusable. Went back and they did a bit of work to eliminate drone but made it sound stock again. Went back again and the guy just didn't turn up and responded with utter contempt when I asked why he didn't show up.
Avoid.