PDA

View Full Version : Question Key Fobs / Remote Central Locking Issue

ben.spendley
20-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi,
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Out of the blue a couple of days ago both Key Fobs for my '08 (58) A4 B8 stopped working. The lights on the fob(s) still flash, changed batteries, still the same. It would seem that the sensor, or something else has gone wrong.
I am trying to identify where the Fuse is, but cannot see anything in the manual which makes reference to this specific component, any ideas?
Does anyone have any idea how to re-sync these fobs? I have searched high and low, but seem only to find reference to the older key style (with flip out key) not the "Intelligent" key which slots into the dash.
has anyone else had this problem before? and what was the issue, did this have to go back to the dealers to be resolved? I'd quite like to get this sorted myself and save the expense.
Thanks,

passman
22-08-2014, 02:36 PM
When I had my A4 my key fob did this and the only solution was to get another key fob. Apparently they can at any time with no warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ben.spendley
22-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Its both fobs, they just stopped working at the same time.

aussiejock
24-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Happened to me last week!
Start the engine with your plastic service key. Press unlock on the fob key. Stop engine. Start and stop engine with fob key. It should now be working. Repeat with other key.
Hope this works.

kanecullen89
28-03-2015, 03:51 AM
Did you fix this problem? Mine developed the exact same issue last week

kanecullen89
01-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Did you fix this problem? Mine developed the exact same issue last week

kanecullen89
02-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Hi all.

Just an update. I didn't get anyone reply with any answers for this issues so I assume that nobody had fixed it without main dealer help.
I did have my car booked into a dealer to have the central convenience module flashed and keys recoded for the 23rd but I have managed to fix it myself.

As I said earlier, I scanned my car with vcds and didn't get any relevant errors. The only error I got was a reoccurring error stating that the car had gone into power management (essentially the battery is knackered).
This must have been what caused the keys to lose their programming to start with. The confusing thing is that with the B8 A4 and A5, the remote is automatically reprogrammed everytime the key is placed into the dash slot and the car turned on. This was not happening with mine.

I was out of options.
I then thought that maybe the power management knocked out the central convenience module (to save power for starting) and this had caused the unit to restart but not quite started back up correctly. Remember, vcds was showing no errors for the ccm.

I tried looking on vcds for an option to completely restart the module but no job.
I decided to find the ccm (which I located inside the boot, on the right hand side and is a fairly large unit with about 6 cable connectors going into it.
I unplugged all of the connectors and left the car for 2 hours. MAKE SURE YOU DONT SHUT THE BOOT, YOU WILL GET LOCKED OUT, because the ccm controls all remote functions and all lock functions including the boot switch on the drivers door.

I got back to the car, plugged all of the connectors back in, put my key in the dash, started the car, pulled the key out and hey presto, key fob works again!!

So before you give up and take your car to the ******** to be reprogrammed, simply unplug the module for a couple of hours and it will be reset and should work again!

Boy
02-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Thanks for this potentially useful post. Is the CCM module easily recognisable or would a photograph help to distinguish it from
any other boxes with wires in that area?

kanecullen89
02-04-2015, 07:13 PM
No problem at all.
It's in the cubby hole on the right hand side of the boot where the little storage pocket is.
That pocket also houses the parking distance control module and a couple others.
As you look into the cubby hole, the ccm is positioned in the top left corner. Once you see it, it's fairly obvious which one it it because there's about 6 large electrical connectors coming out of the front of it