PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Ed1943
19-08-2014, 02:39 PM
About a week ago my 2009 1.9 Tdi had developed a whistle when changing up through the gears. This became quite low/gruff on a couple of occasions. But if I use higher revs before changing it does not seem to occur. Also it feels that the turbo is not boosting as it should.
Any thoughts please before I visit the dealer (I've a 12 month warranty).
Eddie

zollaf
19-08-2014, 03:38 PM
boost leak.

Ed1943
11-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Hi Zollaf
Just returned from diagnostic check at local VW garage. They could not find any faults - carried out guided fault finding no faults recorded checked air charge system all ok road test with lap top observed measured values all ok whistle normal and drove normally.
Perplexed at this as whistle is quite noticeable and has certainly increased since owning the car (5months). Still feel the Turbo does not operate as normal. Had a look under the engine cover, no leaks found but a ex. Skoda mechanic reckons it could be the intercooler piping/clips but surely this would have shown up in the check? Car has only 24000 on the clock (2009). Perhaps drop the under tray to check the intercooler piping?
Eddie

zollaf
11-09-2014, 08:30 PM
if a pipe is not connected and sealed 100 % then air under pressure will whistle out of it. this means you drop some turbo pressure,but, the turbo then just works that bit harder to keep up so still shows as proper boost on the computer. in fact, where a problem like this is concerened, i wouldn't even bother using a computer. a garage that owns a smoke tester would find it, smoke is pumped in and comes out of any leaks, engine not running of course, or you remove the intercooler pipe from the manifold and blank it off, then fill the other end with compressed air to find it, only low pressure though. i use a cooling system pressure tester for this method. its likely rubber seal has split ,so you may have to remove all the pipework and inspect all connections to find it. altrnatively, spray soapy water on it and observe for bubbles whilst revving.