PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Coolant temperature sensor?

CLOUD1
19-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Car is 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDie

I hv had warm start issues sometimes lazy, but today just wouldn't start.
I have found what I think is the G83 'grey' 2 pin sensor- just by dipstick behind radiator car started straight away- no sure if this is a coincidence as car had cooled down.

I just cant find the other G63 'green' 4 pin sensor.
Any ideas please, pics would be appreciate

thanks in advance

CLOUD1
21-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Answering my question in case it helps someone else
There are 2 grey 2-pin sensors on this engine
1 on radiator outlet and 1 rear of engine, accessed just under air hose

alankru
22-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Just to be sure, are you aware of this common issue being caused by the starter motor?
Thread: Audi a3 tdi (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?157149-Audi-a3-tdi&p=896076#post896076)
Disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor just forces the ecu into thinking that the engine is cold, thereby it injects fuel when the engine is actually warm (which it normally would not do) and this alleviates a weak starter motor.

CLOUD1
22-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Just to be sure, are you aware of this common issue being caused by the starter motor?
Thread: Audi a3 tdi (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?157149-Audi-a3-tdi&p=896076#post896076)
Disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor just forces the ecu into thinking that the engine is cold, thereby it injects fuel when the engine is actually warm (which it normally would not do) and this alleviates a weak starter motor.

Thanks for this:
I went for the CTS as

1 The starter was turning but engine not starting- I assumed it was CTS type issue as it was on warm start and wondered if engine was flooded?
2 I had CTS and camshaft pos sensor codes on VCDS- I only managed to replace radiator sensor with a used genuine CTS and it seems to have helped. However Im waiting for th new sensor arrive from Poland.

I will read the other thread and feedback