PDA

View Full Version : 5 cyl Vs V6 2.5 TDI

mhobson
20-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I used to own a 1996 140 bhp 6 speed A6 Avant and loved the car but when moved to France and wanted LHD sold the car and bought a 1999 150 bhp A6 2.5 tdi Avant. Expected that with 10 bhp plus and newer engine design it would be more nippy and economical. Big surprise was that it accelerated slower and it seemed to take ages before the turbo kicked in and it used much more fuel. The car had recently had a new injection pump, I fitted a new Bosch air mass meter and the Audi garage decoked the turbo. In the old A6 the power seemed to be there all the time I never seemed to notice turbo lag. Where I live there are many mobile speed traps and I usually drive sedately but like to be able to overtake quickly if need be. With my old a6 I used to regularly get about 48 mpg locally but with the new car only a shade over 40. To get a bit more punch I bought an Inmotion chip conversion (two chips not just the one). This is supposed to increase the power from 150 to 190 bhp and torque from 310 to 400 nm. It is now quicker than the older car but despite fuel saving claims fuel consumption remains the same, but you can pull in 6th from lower speeds without having to change down. (my mpg figures are NOT the car computer figures but exact full tank to full tank calculations, my best in the 5 cyl ever was from Cornwall to Weston Super Mare loaded and return and got 67.2 mpg!) Have other members had similar experiences? I know that individual cars can vary but it has been a big surprise to me.

darkskies
20-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Big surprise was that it accelerated slower and it seemed to take ages before the turbo kicked in and it used much more fuel. The car had recently had a new injection pump, I fitted a new Bosch air mass meter and the Audi garage decoked the turbo. In the old A6 the power seemed to be there all the time I never seemed to notice turbo lag..

Not noticed much if any turbo lag on my 2002 2.5TDI (V6 155Bhp) although this has got the multitronic gearbox, not the manual.

Crasher
20-09-2007, 01:53 PM
If no fault codes are present, it would be a good first step to get some boost figures using VAG-COM. The ECU on these engines suffers a problem which prevents proper boost being delivered. In my experience the V6 150 is much quicker than the 5cyl.

galanc
18-01-2008, 08:55 PM
hi guys i was interested to read the above posts--i also have recently bought the A4 2.5 tdi 163hp and it is not a patch on my chipped
5 cylinder A6 which churnes out about 175hp and 60mpg
i am saving up to get the a4 chipped as well then so i will really be able to compare results--cheers:beerchug:

ps--where is the best place to buy the chip ??

dean warren
18-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I used to own a 1996 140 bhp 6 speed A6 Avant and loved the car but when moved to France and wanted LHD sold the car and bought a 1999 150 bhp A6 2.5 tdi Avant. Expected that with 10 bhp plus and newer engine design it would be more nippy and economical. Big surprise was that it accelerated slower and it seemed to take ages before the turbo kicked in and it used much more fuel. The car had recently had a new injection pump, I fitted a new Bosch air mass meter and the Audi garage decoked the turbo. In the old A6 the power seemed to be there all the time I never seemed to notice turbo lag. Where I live there are many mobile speed traps and I usually drive sedately but like to be able to overtake quickly if need be. With my old a6 I used to regularly get about 48 mpg locally but with the new car only a shade over 40. To get a bit more punch I bought an Inmotion chip conversion (two chips not just the one). This is supposed to increase the power from 150 to 190 bhp and torque from 310 to 400 nm. It is now quicker than the older car but despite fuel saving claims fuel consumption remains the same, but you can pull in 6th from lower speeds without having to change down. (my mpg figures are NOT the car computer figures but exact full tank to full tank calculations, my best in the 5 cyl ever was from Cornwall to Weston Super Mare loaded and return and got 67.2 mpg!) Have other members had similar experiences? I know that individual cars can vary but it has been a big surprise to me.
have you had the pump iming checked?? this can affect performance and fuel consumption.