PDA

View Full Version : Remapping

Dan1945
16-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Hi guys...
just bought an Audi A4 2.0Tdi estate Sline 140

can anyone help me regarding remapping? I hear the 05/06 has weak turbos? Is this true?
does anyone know where a good reputable remapping service is in Berkshire area?

many thanks

Dan

Guest 2
16-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Welcome to VWAF

Before mapping make sure your car has had or is affected by the oil pump balance shaft issue, it affected a lot of cars around 05/06 so make sure thats been done or get it done if it hasn't.

Dan1945
16-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Many thanks. Is it worth remapping?

Guest 2
16-08-2014, 07:53 PM
After you've checked that, then yes. But only by a reputable and well known company. Avoid tuning boxes.

M1tchy
16-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Don't think that question can be answered as people will have their reasons for and against. For - power, mpg and torque gains. Against - engine and gearbox not designed for the extra power?, warranty issues?, reliability issues etc etc. it's all down to the user weighing it all up an making a decision. Why are you thinking of a remap?

Dan1945
16-08-2014, 09:29 PM
I thought they were down tuned and a remap would put it to the power output where it is most efficient

ExpertTuning
26-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Hi Dan

I'm not sure where you got to with your questions regarding a remap for your 2.0 TDi 140hp, but give me a call and I can talk you through it.

It is correct to say that the 2.0 TDi 140hp has a weak turbo compared to other models. We take this into account during our tuning of this engine, making no direct modifications to the turbo. It would be wrong to say there's zero risk to a remap bearing in mind the turbo weakness but, by the same token, I can tell you it is one of the most common engines for us to remap. Although we don't modify the turbo during our remap of this engine we still get 172 bhp from it, and still get the MPG improvements and lag reduction you'd want.

Overall, if you're remapping a decent engine, with good condition components at the time the engine is remapped, and maintain it properly with oil changes at the recommended periods, you'll be fine. If your turbo is already on the edge of failure, even though we don't directly modify boost with our remap, it could have a problem whether we remap it or not. There are so many variables. After a remap you'll probably use less revs and cause less stress during 'everyday driving' but, if you want to flatten the throttle and rev to the hilt in every gear, there will be more stress. Common sense really!

Cheers

Paul