PDA

View Full Version : A1 1.6 tdi Fails to Start or Run Manufacturer is stumped !!!!

BROADBEAN9513
14-08-2014, 05:43 PM
last week my year old A1 1.6 TDI was running a bit lumpy on start up but eventually got going. I drove for about 25 miles before the car could not idle at traffic lights and stalled. I could not get thye car restarted and so called out Audi Assist. They checked the car and also were stumped as there were no fault codes and the system fuel pressure indicated no problems on diagnostics. The car was towed to Lomond Audi in Glasgow who carried out further investigations for a couple of days. They said that the car appeared all OK and even the EGR was fine. They were stumped and contacted the technical experts at Audi Technical advice centre. They decided to change all Injectors!!!!! Not sure why but a stab in the dark maybe. The car did start for them but is running really rough!!! They are now carrying out further tests to see if they can nail the fault. Any suggestions would be welcome as even Audi themselves are baffled by it.

josedebardi
14-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Sounds a bit odd! I would have said fuel starvation problem but they seem to have ruled that out... Try here The Audi A1 Forum :: A Big Idea, Condensed :: Welcome (http://www.a1-forum.co.uk), a lot more focused on the A1 (the A1 section here is really quiet).

Doctle Odd
14-08-2014, 08:07 PM
My mate has the same problem with a 1.6 Octavia. He's currently shelling out 7000 yoyos to Skoda for a new engine, they are stumped too. He also lost a bomb changing injectors fuel pump etc.

BROADBEAN9513
14-08-2014, 08:20 PM
How many miles has his Skoda got on it and is it the 105BHP engine? I know that VW are repacing the injectors out of warranty but it has not fixed mine!! Luckily I am under Audi warranty. I think it is something to do with loss of compression in the cylinder head which is the only thing left it can be. Either valve timing or rings. I think maybe something to do with valves or maybe last ditch problem with the ECU. Surely VAG have the answers?? My car has only done 13000 miles and is only a year old. It is used to commute 100miles every day for 6 months, so good mileage.

Doctle Odd
14-08-2014, 08:25 PM
How many miles has his Skoda got on it and is it the 105BHP engine? I know that VW are repacing the injectors out of warranty but it has not fixed mine!! Luckily I am under Audi warranty. I think it is something to do with loss of compression in the cylinder head which is the only thing left it can be. Either valve timing or rings. I think maybe something to do with valves or maybe last ditch problem with the ECU. Surely VAG have the answers?? My car has only done 13000 miles and is only a year old. It is used to commute 100miles every day for 6 months, so good mileage.
Yes it's the 105 brake engine. The car is 2011 and has 36k miles (60km) I thought it was valves myself as she was full of diesel even in the intake side. Engine had good compression according to Skoda, timing was spot on no codes etc. She had a new EGR 6 months ago. Car is out of warranty Skoda don't want to know

BROADBEAN9513
14-08-2014, 08:26 PM
My mate has the same problem with a 1.6 Octavia. He's currently shelling out 7000 yoyos to Skoda for a new engine, they are stumped too. He also lost a bomb changing injectors fuel pump etc.

Doctle Odd
14-08-2014, 08:30 PM
If you ever get it fixed I'd love to know the problem. His situation is almost identical it stalled at a roundabout, started and then died at the next roundabout.

BROADBEAN9513
14-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Yes it's the 105 brake engine. The car is 2011 and has 36k miles (60km) I thought it was valves myself as she was full of diesel even in the intake side. Engine had good compression according to Skoda, timing was spot on no codes etc. She had a new EGR 6 months ago. Car is out of warranty Skoda don't want to know
I am wondering if it is an over fuelling problem as before mine finally packed in over a matter of two days the car would run fine above about 1500 revs but when the revs dropped it became lumpy and stalled. It would crank over OK but failed to start. Then I waited half an hour it started but lumpy again. Audi in Glasgow have changed the injectors under advice from Audi Headquarters. What next maybe new engine, but Audi may find it uneconomically viable. I shall wait and see. They have give me a courtesy hire car under Audi Assist. It is a Golf with trhe same engine and gearbox and it appear far better than the A1 and about 10 mpg better than mine ever was. Weird. It is not the remapped Bluemotion version as some have asked even though it has bluemotion badge. It is a Golf S 1.6 TDI 105 with 5 spd gearbox identical to mine.