PDA

View Full Version : Question Looking for a cheap fault code reader, which?

Rajsta
13-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Im looking for a Fault code reader for the c6, im not wanting to spend too much within reason but would obviously want it to do the job (just read error codes, nothing more).
I have no idea on which or what type to be looking for! so if somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great. a cable to plug into a laptop or a self contained unit? i dont know.
i dont have the money for one of them rosstech cables.

M1tchy
13-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Won't be able to help you out on this as most are illegal copies and can't be discussed on the forum

Rajsta
13-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Won't be able to help you out on this as most are illegal copies and can't be discussed on the forum

illegal copies of what?
ok so if i were to buy a real reader, is it the odb2 type i need?

Doctle Odd
13-08-2014, 06:53 PM
What do you want a scan tool for? If you can't afford a genuine RossTech cable ask a member to scan your car when it need scanning. Cheapo Chinese one can fry your brain and thats a huge headache and very expensive. Genuine cable is less than the cost of 3 main dealer scans :)

Rajsta
13-08-2014, 06:58 PM
What do you want a scan tool for? If you can't afford a genuine RossTech cable ask a member to scan your car when it need scanning. Cheapo Chinese one can fry your brain and thats a huge headache and very expensive. Genuine cable is less than the cost of 3 main dealer scans :)

I hear what your saying but still, i want one, at the end of the day if it ends up frying my brain thats down to me.

Just done a quick search and im looking at this Autec maxiscan MS509, there are chinese copies of this that are crap, but apparently the genuine ones are fine at reading codes.

Doctle Odd
13-08-2014, 07:03 PM
I was refering to diagnostic cables called something like VAG.COM XX.XX these are clones. What year is the C6?

Rajsta
13-08-2014, 07:05 PM
I was refering to diagnostic cables called something like VAG.CPM XX.XX these are clones. What year is the C6?
its the last of the c6's, 2011.

Doctle Odd
13-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Do you do your own servicing? You need VCDS to retract rear brakes etc. You can code parts do adaptations etc that a cheap hand-held won't do. It's not even the price of 2 tyres

Rajsta
13-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Do you do your own servicing? You need VCDS to retract rear brakes etc. You can code parts do adaptations etc that a cheap hand-held won't do. It's not even the price of 2 tyres
i do my own servicing, but not on this car. im really not a fan of new techy vehicles, so i leave it to the local mechanics. i may look into it in the future though.

Guest 2
13-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Get VCDS, you'll need it if you're keeping the car and it may be something your local mechanic mightn't have.

Rajsta
13-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Get VCDS, you'll need it if you're keeping the car and it may be something your local mechanic mightn't have.
what exactly is vcds? ive heard of it but im not sure what it is? is it software?

Doctle Odd
13-08-2014, 09:27 PM
what exactly is vcds? ive heard of it but im not sure what it is? is it software?

VDCS is dealer level diagnostics for the price of 2 ish main dealer scans. There is an OBD cable you connect to a laptop and software you download. The software is updated regularly. A member on this site used to sell (I forget who it is but Chris_A6 will know) it or try http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

Rajsta
13-08-2014, 10:20 PM
VDCS is dealer level diagnostics for the price of 2 ish main dealer scans. There is an OBD cable you connect to a laptop and software you download. The software is updated regularly. A member on this site used to sell (I forget who it is but Chris_A6 will know) it or try http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

ah ok, thats the rosstech thing i said i cant afford right now. noted for future ref. god these new cars are too much to maintain. give me a 80s engine any day.

Dammad
14-08-2014, 10:11 PM
I use OBD Car Doctor that I installed from the Android Play Store free, a ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter is very cheap and it will work.