PDA

View Full Version : Question Adaptive Headlight Warning Light

richthevet
10-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Hi,

I am looking at buying this car tomorrow having seen it last week - it's a 59 plate and despite what the advert says the milometer says it's done 46K miles

http://www.ashingtonmotorcompanyltd.co.uk/used-cars/audi-a4-2-0-tdi-143-s-line-5dr-ashington-201403042234750

(this assumes that the dealer has serviced it and replaced the windscreen which had a 6" crack in it). It looked like a pretty sound car otherwise when I drove it, but I had a couple of queries -
1. How long does the engine typically take to get to a normal operating temperature such that the Start/Stop feature kicks in?
2. There was one warning light on the dash pertaining to the adaptive headlights (picture below) which the dealer said he'd look at but didn't guarantee fixing - just wondered if anyone had any experience of any common problems with these headlights? I've seen a couple of threads about something to do with the arms that link to the suspension that sometimes break - are those easy to visualise without dismantling part of the car? Essentially what I'm asking is, is it worth buying the car without the problem being fixed first or am I setting myself up for a potential 4 figure cost of repairing it?
http://s30.postimg.org/l4wydhyap/lights.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts/replies

rafletcher
10-08-2014, 01:24 PM
You're shown as being in Gloucs - have you moved? Bloody long way to go otherwise! And are you getting a warranty with it? What does it say about pre-existing faults? Frankly a garage that says essentially "can't be bothered to get Audi to sort this problem with the lights, over to you pal" is one I'd walk away from.

richthevet
10-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I have moved but only to Nottinghamshire so it's still a long way! Further to the OP the car is now going to Audi for it's service tomorrow and for them to have a look at the headlight, but the selling garage has said that they think it "may require a new off side front headlight" and if it does and if it is going to cost too much to do then "we will just refund you your deposit because it would not be worth us going ahead with the deal"

So, the plan is to ring them before setting off and see if they've actually pulled their finger out and done anything they said they would and see whether it's worth driving 2 and a half hours for again...