PDA

View Full Version : New to forum. Audi A4 v BMW 3 in snow and others. Audi lead times.

Hugie11
10-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Hello,

New to the forum. I'm awaiting delivery of an A4 TDi Ultra front wheel drive in Volcano Red as a company car.

It was ordered on the 18th of April so 16 weeks waiting so far, which does seem an overly long time to be waiting. It was due to be delivered anytime now but had an email telling me it has been delayed and won't be delivered until the end of August. This is my first Audi so are lead times as long as this normal?

My previous company car was a BMW 320ED. Lovely car but one major problem. No good in the snow and ice. I travel regularly to Scotland and with the BMW I dreaded going to Scotland in the winter. The snow we had in 2013 I got stranded twice and after that I thought to myself - never again.

Also official figures quote the A4 and 3 series has having 480 litres boot capacity but I must say the A4 boot does look slightly larger than the 3 series. Any thoughts?

Anyway, very much looking to driving the A4 when it decides to eventually turn up!!!

Boy
10-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Welcome aboard. I also travel frequently to Scotland and for many years have fitted Winter tyres from late October till late March.
With those, no problems in the snow, if approached sensibly.

rafletcher
10-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Lead times are long because it's a new model. I ordered a 2.0TFSI quattro s-tronic Avant and it was in the country in 10 weeks. I'm leaving ist with Audi until 1/9/14 so as to get the new reg. Front wheel drive will always be better than rear wheel drive in snow. .

GolferPete
10-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I have found that the A4 2.0tdi s-line with multitronic is the worst car I have ever owned in snow with the standard 245/40R18 tyres - it can even get stuck on an almost flat surface. Awful, absolutely awful.

I ended up buying some winter wheels and tyres a year or so back, only to find that they were for an A6 and didn't fit, so sold them on via this forum. Fortunately, last winter was without snow down south where I am.

It might in part be to do with the multitronic box whic doesn't allow you to start off in anything but 1st until about 2500rpm but it really is the pits, imho.

[Previous car BMW328 auto - rwd and much better]

allanmb
10-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I take it the car is non-quattro? 2WD Audi's are not particularly good in the snow with standard tyres, but my father in law has had no issues with his A3 since he put on winter tyres. He stays near Aviemore too so sees a LOT of snow!!

Personally, I just buy quattro every time. We drive around Scotland in winter to see family and go skiing. The only cars at the ski centres on the snowiest days are Quattro Audis and Range Rovers / Land Rovers!

mina08
10-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Its mainly down too tyres

Hugie11
10-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all your replies. In an ideal world I would have the Quattro but with 134 grams of CO2 best on the diesel model that means a 22% BIK compared to the 17% for the 109 grams of CO2 for the ultra. That would be a big increase in my monthly tax, which is the higher rate. I have three young children under 3, so it's important to save money where I can given our monthly childcare bill is around a grand. Time for the snip!

What snow tyres do you recommend and how much do they cost? I might see if work will pay for them when needed.

mina08
10-08-2014, 09:00 PM
just get a set of cheap 17/18" wheels with a mid ranged priced set of winter tyres if you have a budget.

Boy
10-08-2014, 10:53 PM
There is plenty of advice and forumite's experiences in the Winter Tyres thread at the top of the page.
Have a look at that which should be helpful.

markp306
11-08-2014, 07:26 AM
That would be a big increase in my monthly tax......our monthly childcare bill is around a grand. Time for the snip!

Ouch! x3

Enjoy the new ultra when it arrives!

Hugie11
11-08-2014, 11:27 AM
11 month old twins and a boy who has just turned 3. The other car is a Zafira unsurprisingly.

The first I did before I even took the Audi for test drive was to check it could fit three child carseats in the back (two child seats and a high back booster). It just fitted all three in without compromising on safety.

I've read on many forums that people couldn't get three car seats in the back of the A4 but ultimately it comes down to the make and type of car seat used. But thats a completely different topic of discussion.............

Enjoy the ultra i will!