PDA

View Full Version : Question Octavia 1.6 tdi

Doctle Odd
09-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Hello Chaps, I dont do much at cars any more had a slight stroke earlier this year but I'm back and LOOKING FOR HELP! My mate has an octavia 1.6 tdi 3 years old 36 k miles. She seemed to have injector failure, a scan said on no2, It was replaced and coded for 600+ yoyos. She still wont start and there's diesel everywhere inside the engine even some in the air intake. There's no fault codes, main dealer says fit 3 more injectors 1800 yoyos plus labour, voddie and tomic or new engine. Any ideas? Thanks

Crasher
09-08-2014, 04:31 AM
STOP! Check the system pressure and check the fuel for shiny bits of aluminium. You may have already buggered one new injector, don't do another three before you know the system is clean. Have you been running "special" fuels in this? I have seen this with people using home brew, one chap has done it to the same car twice despite being told not too.

Doctle Odd
09-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Thank you Crasher. The people that own the Octavia have been using the same garage for diesel since the car was new. She has covered 60k km since May 2011, warranty is out Sloda here say they never seen this before.. Should I suggest they check the high pressure pump or the lift pump? Thanks again mate

Crasher
09-08-2014, 04:31 PM
It is the cam belt driven high pressure pump, they can eat their internals and fill the system with aluminium shavings which get into the injectors and you can't get it back out. The Ford/Jaguar 4 cylinder TDI suffered the same problem.

Doctle Odd
09-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks again Crasher, I passed on your information, my mate has been told that the extra diesel could have bent a conrod or holed a piston. Could it? he's afraid to drop 3 grand and then find he still needs an engine.

Crasher
10-08-2014, 12:43 AM
The only way to be able to find out if it has a bent rod is to take off the head and measure the piston protrusion at TDC. Is the engine a CAYC? A compression test should show if things are relatively OK inside, the figures are 25>31 bar, absolute minimum 19 bar and no more than 5 bar imbalance.

Doctle Odd
10-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks Steve, you're a gentleman, a scholar and a connoisseur of strong cheap whiskey!

Crasher
11-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Ehh, not so cheap mind.....:alcoholic

Doctle Odd
11-08-2014, 10:20 PM
I advised my mate to bring her to a Skoda dealer the guy that was "fixing" it suggested a new engine. He wouldn't listen to any mention of a pump failure, thanks again for the replies a bottle of Chivas Regal will be delivered with the milk tomorrow
:alcoholic