PDA

View Full Version : 1999 passat 1.8T manual: engine problems

wolfie97
20-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Hello,

This is my first posting. Unfortunately, this post is a cry for help. I've recently got a '99 passat 1.8T manual from private sale. Everything seems fine, a few months later of driving the "check engine" light comes on blinking. The engine is now rattling, rumbling, shaking...etc. It feels and sounds like a lawn mower making that "putt-putt" noise. During idle, it feels like the engine is struggling to stay on and when I try to accellerate the car doesn't seem like it even got the strength to go. I got home and opened the hood and witnessed some smoke rising from underneath the engine. I've called the dealer and they said don't drive it anymore and just bring it in. Unfortunately they won't be able to take a look at it unil a month later as they are backed up with appointments. Anybody got a clue to want might be the issue or as anyone experience something like it before? Thanks:aargh4:

hotrod09
21-09-2007, 02:30 PM
OUTSCH! That does not sound like a happy engine at all. Where did the smoke come from? When was the cambelt last done and have you checked the plugs, wires and connectors?

wolfie97
21-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Well, just after I purchased it, I changed the plugs and new fluids.

the belts I have not changed as the previous owner had changed the timing belt like 2 yrs ago and there wasn't too much mileage since then. the smoke seems to be escaping underneath the engine, but I couldn't see where exactly it is. Some people told me it could be the O2 sensor. what do you think? Thanks!

hotrod09
22-09-2007, 10:10 PM
MMh, my first thought was that the cambelt might have slipped a notch. Which is why I was asking where the smoke was coming from. The oxygen sensor would cause the light to come on, however, shaking engine and so on sounds like something a bit more serious. I would suggest to revist all the spark plugs and cables. Inspect the plugs to see if there is anything abnormal to be seen. Check the spark plug wiring to ensure that no animal has taken a liking to them and then see where you are. Good Luck

calum
31-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi hotrod09 , sounds like a coil pack has finally packed in . It will run although roughly , on three cylinders . They are a well known failure item ! Replacement is simple enough , to find the malfunctioning coilpack you can disconnect one injector at a time , the one with the bad coilpack will result in no difference in the way the engine runs , disconnect a good one and the engine will drop onto two cylinders , good luck , Calum .

muddy
02-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Hello,

This is my first posting. Unfortunately, this post is a cry for help. I've recently got a '99 passat 1.8T manual from private sale. Everything seems fine, a few months later of driving the "check engine" light comes on blinking. The engine is now rattling, rumbling, shaking...etc. It feels and sounds like a lawn mower making that "putt-putt" noise. During idle, it feels like the engine is struggling to stay on and when I try to accellerate the car doesn't seem like it even got the strength to go. I got home and opened the hood and witnessed some smoke rising from underneath the engine. I've called the dealer and they said don't drive it anymore and just bring it in. Unfortunately they won't be able to take a look at it unil a month later as they are backed up with appointments. Anybody got a clue to want might be the issue or as anyone experience something like it before? Thanks

I hope it is one of the 'external' causes suggested by other posters.

If it is rattling and rumbling it might be the oil pump blockage/oilstarvation nightmare.

If any previous owners have not run the engine religiously on top quality fully synthetic oil - then problems will occur.
The 1.8 20 valver has only/just 3.5 litres of oil in the sump.
It also has an oil pump strainer that is only a fraction of the size of one in a 1172cc Ford sidevalve engine of th 1950's. !!!

Run cheap non-synthetic oil, it will cook near the turbo hot spots and form lumps of black clag that will block up the tiny strainer screen on the pump. Reduced pressure/flow and the bearings give up throughout the engine.