PDA

View Full Version : '95 GTI High Mileage... Should I?

Exinferis
19-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi all,

Just need a bit of advice:

I've been after a Golf for a while now, but I'm on a low budget and am quite specific about what I want (after having 3 cars I didn't choose myself!). So, I've just found a MKIII 3 door in black, but the mileage is over 200000! :yikes:

But, it's only £500.00

Previously I've had MKIII Polo's and have had a change of engine in one. So, I was thinking of getting the Golf and changing the engine for a lower mileage one. Only problem is the chap who changed my Polo engine has disaperared off the face of the planet and I don't know where else I can get it done (other than a regular garage that'll charge me a bomb!).

That's where you all come in!

1) Is it worth the hassle?
2) If yes, where can I get the engine changed?
3) And how much will it cost?

I'm sure someone here will be able to give me a rough idea of prices etc. I don't expect a to-the-last-penny quote, but a rough idea will really help me decide.

Thanks all!

Ex.

shadowstalker
20-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Does it have to be a GTI?
1.8 are quite quick

Exinferis
20-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi shadowstalker,

No, it doesn't. In fact, I'd prefer a lower spec car for tax/insurance! It's just that it's in MK (which I can get to easily. And my Dad lives there, so asked him to have a look for me) it's the right colour (black, although grey would also be fine), and the right number of doors (3, not 5).

I know it sounds like I'm being really picky, but the last three cars I've had have been someone else's choice and I really want the car I want for a change! :Blush: Plus, I'm on a very limited budget.

neileg
20-09-2007, 04:30 PM
If it's running well and the price is right (I guess it is), just buy it and run it till it goes bang. There's no point in swapping an engine that you know is OK for one that might have problems, even if the claimed ;) mileage is lower.

A £500 cars is pretty well disposable, any major bills and I'd just scrap it and buy another. I've not paid more than a grand for a car for years.

Exinferis
20-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I see what you're saying, but I can't afford to do that. My last car I had to scrap and I hated doing it because I loved it!

I don't want a car for five minutes, I want it to last. Besides, I don't fancy driving down the M1 when it goes bang! ;-)

herby0001
21-09-2007, 09:16 PM
All depends on how the car/engine have been looked after. If properly serviced and cared for, you'd probably fine it'd be fine. But if ragged, then who knows what else is about to fail?

Buying an engine and getting it fitted will cost you a few hundred quid anyway. Personally speaking, if I thought the car was a nice example, albeit a high mileage one, I would get the cambelt changed and then just run with it. Mk3's are ageing now, things will go wrong, whatever you try to do to pre-empt it. I wouldn't spend money on it until it needs it. A different engine could be a duffer. Then you're no better off.

onzarob
21-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I see what you're saying, but I can't afford to do that. My last car I had to scrap and I hated doing it because I loved it!

I don't want a car for five minutes, I want it to last. Besides, I don't fancy driving down the M1 when it goes bang! ;-)

This might sound harsh but £500 doesn't buy peace on mind motoring, it buys you fun till it breaks;)

Exinferis
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Well, I never got a reply from the bloke anyway, so it's all academic now!

However, I'm sure I'll find something else. :approve:

notquitecornish
08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Hey, thought I'd add my tuppence worth!

About 6 weeks ago I forked out £550 on a Mk3 1.8 GL (5 door auto) Golf of my own, and it had 155k on the clock. Bought it because it was a quick sale and I knew the owner (he's the MD at work and knows how to look after a car etc).

Basically, it's well worth every penny. There were/are a couple of tiny niggles as you'd expect for the price: the rear exhaust box needed replacing, the front shocks were ruined and there's a little squeak when it shifts into 4th.

However after a general service for a smidgen over £100, the car's in great nick. I'm no boyracer but I've got to 110mph with ease on the M5 (if it's speed/power you're after a 1.8 auto seems more than enough!) and it's got me from Cirencester to Penzance to Bangor without the slightest issue.

My advice: go for it, stick with it - and if you have some sort of failure, maybe look for a nicer model. I suspect it'll last you though if you look after it - mine;s immaculate for 13 years of age and the mileage.

Dollso
02-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I just bought a 1995 1.8 Driver (3 door) with 145K on the clock, got it for £150 as the guy said he was scraping it due to head gasket gone. I didn't think this was the case, and I was right. it was the rocker gasket and one of the Oil pressure sensors. total for repair £12. did a full service including fuel filter, ht leads etc and also rear wheel bearings which I spent around £50 in total on. Car runs well except for when it heats up it will idle a little high and now and then in slow moving traffic or approaching light etc the power will cut out for just a second. I know the coil was done few months back as was the clutch so I now looking at the injector seals and temp sensors. any one got any other suggestions?

BOZZY
13-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi m8,

Yeh if herby0001 is right it all depends on how its been looked after, my m8 had a mark 2 gti and has put over 200,000 on it and it is running like a dream still. Might be an idea if u do look at getting it to get some1 from the aa or summin to come with you to give it a good check;)

t211
30-04-2011, 02:00 AM
I rekon you sometimes get what you pay for but a £500 quid run around can be a bargain if it does just that, passes MOTs and is safe. Perhaps with emphasis on the safe part. :)

Exinferis
02-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Blimey mate, you dragged this thread up from the dead didn't you?! It's almost four years old! ;)

As it happenes I left it alone. I ended up getting a MKIV Polo (see avatar). Been pretty happy with it and the milage was way lower when I bought it, just over 53K! :D Had it just over two years now and it's been pretty good thus far, touch wood!

Anyway, thanks for reviving this blast from the past! Maybe it'll benefit someone else eh? :)