PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure Loss Indication - How will I know I have it?

rafletcher
30-07-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm taking delivery of a new A4 on 1st September - it's available now but I'm exercising unaccustomed patience to get the new reg! Aaaanyway, when I researched the car on the configurator I chose a particular colour. However when I'd firmed up my requirements and went back to modify the configuration that colour was no longer available so I chose another - that wasn't in the brochure current at the time. Now, yesterday a new brochure arrived for the 2015Y cars which listed my chosen colour. I checked all the standard specs and saw that 2015MY cars get TPLI as standard. So, as the colour is a 2015MY one, will I get TPLI? And how will I know if I do??

Reason behind asking is despite poring over brochures I missed ordering Hill Hold Assist (the car is an S-Tronic) and reading the forum it seems it can only be retro-fitted to cars with tyre pressure monitoring as only they have the correct ABS module. So how will I know if I have tyre pressure monitoring? Car was ordered 30th May and built week 28.

AGW82
30-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I would say the easiest way to find out (as you don't have the car) is just to ring your dealer and ask, they can check the VIN on the system and see all the systems that are fitted both standard and option.

rafletcher
30-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Well not that bothered - it either will or wont - but a quick bit of googling shows that it will be listed in car-setup- tyre pressure monitoring system in the MMI. If it does and the ABS module is the right one I'll get the HHA retrofitted and might ask one of the guys here who have done it if they'd like a few beer tokens to do it, or perhaps my local indie.

AGW82
30-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Well not that bothered - it either will or wont - but a quick bit of googling shows that it will be listed in car-setup- tyre pressure monitoring system in the MMI. If it does and the ABS module is the right one I'll get the HHA retrofitted and might ask one of the guys here who have done it if they'd like a few beer tokens to do it, or perhaps my local indie.

That is indeed where you'll find it... As you said you didn't have the car I didn't think telling you that would have been too useful.. :D

I would run the car without the HHA and see how you get on... I spec'd it on my car and quite often find it very annoying or forget to turn it on...

gupsterg
30-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Dunno raflectcher if they can give you PR code data of car, but if they can

PRCode: 1AS = Electronic stabilization program (ESP) does not support TPMS/HHA

PRCode: 1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP) does support TPMS/HHA

rafletcher
30-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys - if its a 2015MY then it'll have TPMS and therefore I would assume would be a 1AT - something to peruse the next day when it's having it's new car detail done a the local detailer. And AGW82 - I'll just drive it and see how I get on initially - never having driven an S-Tronic I'm uncertain how it will behave with my driving style! Another little thing to add to the list of "things to do when I get my car" :-)

AGW82
30-07-2014, 05:46 PM
The things that annoy me most about it are: you have to turn it on every time you get in the car, and that it will grab the brakes and stop the car if you are creeping very slowly up to a junction or island for example.

rafletcher
31-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Well I'll see how I get on without it for a while. I've read that unless you brake hard, the clutches still stay partially engaged so behaviour is similar to a tiptronic box, it's only at a "hard" stop that clutched disengage and you might get roll-back - but then there is a parking brake too.

AGW82
31-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Well I'll see how I get on without it for a while. I've read that unless you brake hard, the clutches still stay partially engaged so behaviour is similar to a tiptronic box, it's only at a "hard" stop that clutched disengage and you might get roll-back - but then there is a parking brake too.
That's absolutely correct, the clutch only disengaged when you come to a complete stop. You do get a small amount of rollback from a standing hill start but it's not bad at all..

rafletcher
31-07-2014, 08:45 AM
I guess peoples tolerance of the degree of rollback (and delay in pulling away, another reported S-Tronic hiccough) is akin to that about how fast computers do things. My old 386 with a cable modem - well that was sloooooow. But now I have an i7, SSD laptop - well hat could be faster too!

AGW82
31-07-2014, 09:16 AM
The delay is a bugbear I have had with all DSG boxes I have ever tried, it's particularly indecisive when you roll up to an island and then want to get your foot down for a gap. I find using S rather than D cures 80% off that issue... although efficiency does suffer running in S all the time..

rafletcher
31-07-2014, 09:22 AM
The delay is a bugbear I have had with all DSG boxes I have ever tried, it's particularly indecisive when you roll up to an island and then want to get your foot down for a gap. I find using S rather than D cures 80% off that issue... although efficiency does suffer running in S all the time..

Not a lot different to the tiptronic - and with that, in S, the downchanges at low speeds are sometimes brutally abrupt! Nothing's perfect I guess.