PDA

View Full Version : Engine flush

gdallas
30-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Should I or shouldn’t i? I’m hearing mixed reports, my car was last oil changed at 56k, and im doing it at 76k this weekend.
Looking forward to your thoughts.

dazbo1972
30-07-2014, 01:25 PM
hi i would not reccomend using oil flush in a modern diesel engine after my recent experience using it on a b8 2.0 tdi common rail in poor serviced condition.
i was in 2 minds wether to risk it as the car had done 30k with no oil change :zx11: very bad indeed.....anyways put a tin of flush in motor ran fast idle for 15 minutes and in the final minutes before i was ready to dump the oil the engine sounded like a old diesel cement mixer top end knocking like a good un...cacked myself and quickly turned it off.
drained the motor and left dripping out for hours then put new oil filter and a fresh gallon of synthetic in and ran for 5 mins still sounded quite tapperty,swithced off dumped oil and filter again and with sump plug out tipped last bit of fresh oil through to try ang get rid of every last trace of fuel additive.
once again left for hours to drip out and still in a bit of a panic in case i damaged the motor i finally added another gallon of synth + oil filter again.......ran the motor and to my releif after 2-3 minutes low idle the ticking noise drifted away:D and motor now sounded healthy again.
if your car has been serviced as it should using quality oils i would not reccomend using a oil flush additive of any brand just drop the oil and replace as i would never use one again and only did it on this car through engine neglect....this stuff can sit in oil ports & pockets in the motor and mix with the new oil and in my opinion reduce the oil quality thus could cause premature engine failure as it takes all the protective layers off bearings etc.......leave well alone.

dazbo1972
30-07-2014, 01:31 PM
forgot to mention.....if your driving a old push rod 1.1 fiesta from 1980 or a mk 5 cortina back in the day of black death engine oil then oil flush ok,however a modern day common rail diesel i would not advise using this crap unless the motor was gunged up which should never happen if oil is synthetic and regular changed....even the car i used it on was not gunged after 30k un-serviced avoid at all cost.

gdallas
30-07-2014, 02:00 PM
thanks, was swaying towards not doing it, now defo not!