PDA

View Full Version : A7 transmission noise

Herbie1213
28-07-2014, 06:32 PM
I tagged this on to another thread of mine but thought it better to have a separate thread.

After 40k the car has developed a transmission whine. It happens between 70 80 mph it can just be heard above the sound of the radio. Audi are unsure whether it is gearbox or differential. After 40 years as an M&E engineer it sounds very much like gearbox to me, but I may be proved wrong. The car is now with the dealers who are in discussion with Audi Germany who are baffled as the stronic gearbox is supposedly very reliable.
My 07 Allroad which had the gearbox which was fitted with a torque converter had no such problems and when the car was sold it had covered 160k miles.
Hopefully I should have some news by the end of the week.

My car is an Sline Quattro 2011.

M1tchy
28-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Well that's not sounding good. Guessing its a 3.0l tdi s-tronic?

What's an m&e engineer out if interest?

Herbie1213
30-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi Mitchy yes it is the s-tronic. Different gearbox to yours. M&E - mechanical engineering and electrical engineering. And no it doesn't sound good although it is covered under warranty just.

Herbie1213
30-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Just had an update from the dealers and the car requires a new gearbox. Thank goodness it is still under warranty as I dread to think of the cost.

jk88
31-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Just had an update from the dealers and the car requires a new gearbox. Thank goodness it is still under warranty as I dread to think of the cost.It's £7.5k fitted - I know as I've had two!

The first was to deal with a grumbling centre diff, car was around two years old at this point, and the second was to immediately replace the first as it produced a mild whining noise. Absolutely no quibbles from my dealer or Audi, in fact it was Audi insisting they replace the new one rather than me. That was a year ago and all's been fine since. Have extended my warranty though ...

Herbie1213
31-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks jk88 for replying. After this episode definitely going to extend warranty. The technician who test drove the car thought it was the centre diff. Not sure whether diff is separate to the gear box or part of it. Now confirmed gear box noise. Luckily there is a gear box in stock and not on back order. So should get my car back fairly soon.

Herbie1213
31-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Extended the warranty today pretty reasonable for Audi.
The parts have arrived at the dealers they will be starting work on it next week. Should have it back by Friday of next week. At least I have an A7 as a courtesy car. Didn't think that there would be a marked difference in performance between the 204 bhp and 245 bhp. The Biturbo must be even quicker. May change my mind as was thinking of getting an S7 next. Any thoughts guys?

M1tchy
01-08-2014, 01:35 AM
Glad it's getting sorted mate, and even better that it's all under warranty. My wife has a 245 A5 and I have the BiTDI A7. The power on both is amazing but there is something special about the BiTDI.

The power, sound, fuel economy (my best is an average of 47.1mpg over 304 miles) is just incredible and for the savings on purchase price, running costs and tax over the S7 I (personally) think it's a no brainer.

I'll happily take you for a spin in mine if you are ever my way.

Herbie1213
01-08-2014, 06:18 AM
Cheers mate. Thanks for the offer might take you up on it when I'm near to change. I'm quite often in the Swansea area on business.

Furillo
01-08-2014, 07:08 PM
BiTDI has a different gearbox as well which on top of all the other benefits provides piece of mind

Herbie1213
01-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Furillo, yes I know the Biturbo has a different gear box see post #3 above. I would be glad if you could elaborate of all the other benefits which would provide me with piece of mind over my current model?

Furillo
01-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Afraid not scientific but best summed up by the smile it brings to your face. Plus commented elsewhere simply stunning that given the performance you still regularly get over 45mpg. I was looking at petrol given do lots of short journeys (fear dpf issues) but petrol running costs too high. I contacted the motoring section at the Daily Telegraph (Honest John) and they suggested looking at the BiTDI because the engine was stunning and had lower risk re dpf because engine design ensures car warms up quicker. Lastly to steal phrase from the Bob Flavin BiTDI review it's the ultimate Q car in that no clue what's under the bonnet until you floor it. Top advice always must be test drive one for yourself.

Herbie1213
05-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your reply. I suppose putting a smile on your face and having the ultimate 'Q' car is a sort of peace of mind benefit.

Herbie1213
05-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Latest update service dept has confirmed car now in the workshop. Apparently the labour time is in the region of 10 hours. So hopefully get it back before end of the week. Does the engine and gear box have to come out to change the gear box?

Herbie1213
07-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Got the car back today. First impressions all seems good. The final bill was close to £10k. Thank goodness it was done under warranty.....thank you Audi.

Sauron
07-08-2014, 10:26 PM
So how did that break down exactly? If only 10 hrs work to change it and accepting that there was a big of time for the investigation the earlier post of £7.5k appears to indicate £2.5k for labour which is a bit steep isn't it?

Equally is the cost of the Tiptronic similar or is the S-Tronic just more expensive due to the dual clutch mechanism?

M1tchy
08-08-2014, 02:44 AM
Wow, 10k is insane! Glad it's their problem and not yours though, also glad it's sorted and you are back on the road. Hopefully for many years with no problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Herbie1213
08-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Sauron the gear box had developed a whine in 7th gear between 65 an 80 mph. Did not take very long to diagnose. They test drove the car twice and agreed with my initial diagnosis. Sound like a doctor haha. Cost of gear box alone is £7500 it took over 10 hours of workshop time to change. So it doesn't take long to get near to £10k. I cannot fault Audi Northampton handled everything to my satisfaction.

Herbie1213
08-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks M1tchy yes great to get car back. Fingers crossed no more major issues. As peace of mind I've extended the warranty

Sauron
08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Sauron the gear box had developed a whine in 7th gear between 65 an 80 mph. Did not take very long to diagnose. They test drove the car twice and agreed with my initial diagnosis. Sound like a doctor haha. Cost of gear box alone is £7500 it took over 10 hours of workshop time to change. So it doesn't take long to get near to £10k. I cannot fault Audi Northampton handled everything to my satisfaction.

Herbie1213

Thanks for the response and good to hear Northampton looked after you well as they are a possible option for me; currently have a service plan with Milton Keynes Audi but may be useful info for the future?

MarkTM
10-08-2014, 10:45 AM
I'll defo be taking extended warranty when I buy mine :)