PDA

View Full Version : First time A3 purchase

Yorky1
25-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi all, Just joined the forum. I'm considering purchasing a used A3 Sportback 1.6TDI and have a few queries:

1) Can the OEM roof rails that some Sportbacks have be retrofitted?

2) I need robust roof bars that can be easily affixed / removed to carry a ladder, with a gap between the bars / car roof allowing easy access for wrapping a strap around. Is there a particular type to look for?

3) Where can the rubber mat set (front, rear and boot) be purchased from at the best value?

4) Does this model have a full-size spare wheel? If not can it be purchased as a kit?

5) Is a detachable hidden towbar available?

Thanks in advance

Guest 2
26-07-2014, 10:55 AM
1.6 TDIs have issues with EGR and EGR coolers so choose wisely. Also consider the 1.9 TDI, more reliable and more about.

Retrofitted yes but it requires drilling of the roof.

Pass, look at Thule or Westfalia bars.

Audi, best quality and very hard wearing.

My 2009 has a spacesaver, I believe in 2010 this was ditched for a compressor and can of foam.

Yes but a few companies, I have a Witter detatchable fitted to my 2009.

Yorky1
26-07-2014, 04:16 PM
1.6 TDIs have issues with EGR and EGR coolers so choose wisely. Also consider the 1.9 TDI, more reliable and more about.

Retrofitted yes but it requires drilling of the roof.

Pass, look at Thule or Westfalia bars.

Audi, best quality and very hard wearing.

My 2009 has a spacesaver, I believe in 2010 this was ditched for a compressor and can of foam.

Yes but a few companies, I have a Witter detatchable fitted to my 2009.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you consider it advisable to retrofit the roof rails then?

When viewing, what would the signs of EGR issues be?

Do the main dealers fit 'Witter' towbars?

Guest 2
26-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I personally wouldn't, if its not sealed correctly then you're opening yourself up to rust/corrosion issues.

EGR would usually mean limp mode, rough idle or lumpy running. Most people avoid the 1.6 as it's a very puny engine. I've driven one and wasn't impressed even though it has the same power as my 1.9, the 1.9 is a far better engine to drive.

No, but you can fit it yourself like I did.

quibs
29-07-2014, 05:21 PM
I personally wouldn't, if its not sealed correctly then you're opening yourself up to rust/corrosion issues.

EGR would usually mean limp mode, rough idle or lumpy running. Most people avoid the 1.6 as it's a very puny engine. I've driven one and wasn't impressed even though it has the same power as my 1.9, the 1.9 is a far better engine to drive.

No, but you can fit it yourself like I did.
I've just sold my Audi A4 05 2.0 tdi sline. Looking to get an A3, about 2009/10 year one. Defo avoiding the 1.6 tdi.

question I have, is there anything to look out for when buying the 1.9 tdi sport? I believe the only difference between the 2.0 and 1.9 is the bhp?

When did the start/stop start on these models? I've seen some on the road, the rear lights when braking have the single like red light compared to like normal bulb.

sorry for so many questions :) thanks in advance

quibs
30-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Hi a6 chris

quick question, I'm going to see a 2009, 1.9tdie sport. Hopefully will be buying, is this the facelift? And the year model with less problems?

your help is greatly appreciated.

Guest 2
30-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Exact same as mine. Yes its the facelift.

No problems whatsoever with mine, have had it 2.5 yrs and have done 73k and apart from normal wear&tear the only thing that needed replaced was a DPF pressure sensor, thats it! Pretty reliable considering it's doing 600 miles a week.

NHN
31-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Retrofitting the roof rails would be perfectly ok if done correctly, we've done a few without issues & the seals are on the base of the rails anyway, as long as correct torque is used, they seal perfectly.

quibs
01-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Ended up buying the A3 yesterday. My first A3 after being used to the A4's.

got the 1.9tdie in white. Nice drive yday. Got 135 miles on £20 of diesel.

couple of questions, can the front headlights which have DRL be changed to the white light instead of the normal standard yellow light?

what mods worth doing? Number plate to White led? What build would I need to get?

thanks all

neilos100
01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
. Got 135 miles on £20 of diesel.

Blimey you must have been ragging it then! At (very) roughly £5 a gallon that's only around 35 mpg. On a run you should be able to get in to the 60's with relative ease and I've even seen 70 mpg with the missus driving. She has the same model and age with 125 k on the clock...been an excellent purchase so far and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours too.

Neil

neilos100
01-08-2014, 08:44 PM
The white LED drl's do look great but I'm pretty sure its not a straightforward mod...certainly new light units and I'm sure i read on here somewhere they are a different shape so may not even fit at all. Could use white LED bulbs I guess. Number plate lights are a piece of cake to do...have them on the A6 but not got round to the A3 yet.

Neil

quibs
01-08-2014, 09:33 PM
the dealer I think put £20 in, it was quite low on fuel before they put £20 in. Light hasn't come on yet and just wanted to get home yesterday after picking the car up. Had to wait a few hours as they had to service and mot before I could take it and quite a bit of traffic, stop start on motorway and driving fast. Dash said around 60mpg.

loving it so far, hopefully it will prove to be economical, reason behind buying it compared to my previous a4 2.0tdi 140bhp.

Yorky1
21-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm finding it difficult to find many A3's with roof rails - has anyone used roof bars which wrap around the door frame and do they take long to fit/remove? I'm concerned the door seals would be compromised in time - has anyone had this problem?

Also, the 1.9 diesel engine was discontinued in 2009 so it's either the 1.6 or 2.0. Which would be best?

Thanks again.

alankru
24-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Also, the 1.9 diesel engine was discontinued in 2009 so it's either the 1.6 or 2.0. Which would be best?

The 2.0, preferably the 140bhp as I think I'm right in saying that the 170bhp tends to be more prone to the DPF being clogged with town driving (of course, town driving is never ideal for a modern diesel). The 1.6 is prone to EGR issues (which is expensive to fix) and whilst it is economical, it just doesn't have the same acceleration as the old 1.9, despite it having the same bhp.

Guest 2
24-08-2014, 01:08 PM
1.6's are dead as a door nail, unreliable, some are very uneconomical and crap.

Hold out for a 1.9, it's worth it over the other engines.

The market might be limited in the South, have a look at cars in the North as there a fair few more available.

Guest 2
24-08-2014, 01:14 PM
And fwiw, I recently remapped my 1.9, power is smoother and there are no more dead spots low down where there use to be, pulls like a train and still getting 65+mpg. Haven't done a brim to brim on the map yet but going by visual on the fuel gauge compared to pre-map there will be a significant increase on tank mpg.

Passatier3
24-08-2014, 11:59 PM
I was going to start my own thread asking whether the 1.6 diesel was worth considering but I think I've got my answer!

Initial thoughts were the 2.0 having had them and liked them in VW and Audi but having come across a couple of nice 1.6's thought I'd consider them/have a test drive and find out what the consensus is. No brainer then, 2.0!

quibs
16-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Did my first full up on the car, max full tank, 41.42lts. Drove until the light came on and got 517 miles.

1 trip was to heathrow and back the rest town use.

according to my app got 33.84 miles per litre.

neilos100
16-09-2014, 03:45 PM
I think your app is telling porkies! :D

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

neilos100
16-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Should be 56.75 mpg...not too bad...

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

quibs
16-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Lol, it certainly is telling porkies, just realised that. And happy with the 56.75 mpg, more economical than my old audi 2.0 tdi 140bhp.

Fexo
16-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Be careful with the stop/start if the motorway is highly congested as the ERG valve tends to get sticky with it and the coil light comes on with a loss of power. Just need to switch it off and on again to get it back to normal, but it's best to switch stop/start off. It's happened twice now- once in a 1h queue on the M25 and the other on a 40 minute commute of the Heathrow spur.

Guest 2
24-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Have had my 1.9 REVO mapped for 5k miles now and now always see 66+ on the DIS on my daily jaunt. I don't hang about, I use the power when needed and will blow the cobwebs out every few days.

Using cruise at 70mph and appreciating the low down torque see's figures like this without effort;

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/ForumContent/Misc%20Content/98520427-C292-4902-B22B-BCFD7E68A964_zpsdb754368.jpg

From this Sunday I will now monitor tank MPG as I had a sticking caliper replaced today along with pads and discs all round so there won't be the same drag that the caliper was causing so expecting initial MPG to rise again.