PDA

View Full Version : Rear Parcel Shelf Rattle

silo24
25-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Not sure if i'm the only one to experience this so thought i'd share the problem and my solution...

On a couple of occasions i've had quite a loud rattle from the boot. On investigation, it's the part of the parcel shelf that lifts with the tailgate. Basically where the two 'prongs' fit into the tailgate at the back. These prongs fit into the rubber holders and therefore do not vibrate.

The first time I had a go pulling it apart myself and what happened was that a rubber grommet that's mounted internally to the tailgate plastic trim had come away, causing the 'prong' on that side to bump hard against the tailgate trim. Easy enough to fix, so slotted it back in and all was good....

Last week it happened again and this time I ended up glueing it in......

It's easy enough to get the trim off if you need to.... there are two hex bolts hidden underneath the warning triangle. Remove these and the rest (reluctantly) pops off. Just be careful when putting back together as some rubber strips have a habit of falling off.....

May save someone a trip to the dealer.....

M1tchy
28-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Today on one piece of road I had approx 2 million rattles from everywhere in the car, one was from the rear and assume it's the parcel shelf. Will try this when I'm home.

audipartner
11-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Me too - the rattle is driving me nuts!

Update: I followed Silo24's instructions, super-glued the offending grommets in and I'm now enjoying the silence :D . Straightforward job as well, but do watch for the little rubber jobbers.