PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant fragrance from air vents

mainx
25-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Hey, guys.

Long time ago a friend of mine bought a new A3, diesel. Not sure about other specifics. It was around 2005-06. Everything was great about it, but one thing was truly remarcable. At any moment when she turned on the a/c or even turn it on hot, a specific fragrance came out of the air vents. It smelled amazing. Like a perfume. It was quite different from any other car fragrance sold. I've asked her about it and she said she didn't know. The odour was so strong, at times, she had to open the windows. Ever since I've always wondered about this. Googled about Audi fabric-integrated fragrances or something, but couldn't find. Thought it would be awkward to call Audi about this, so I decided to post here. And, by the way, I've been in other A3s, but none of them had it.

Would love to hear some opinions. I'm about to buy an A3 and I want this in it!

Thanks in advance

Fexo
25-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Sounds like they had the air conditioning topped up- they can put smelly stuff in as well. It will probably dilute over time.

Geraldy212
26-07-2014, 05:42 PM
I would think most likely, that at some time there was a fragrance bottle or some other fragrance-containing item in the car, and the car has been left in the sun. The strong fragrance then has invaded the carpets, seats, headlining, and most probably the cabin air filter. Perhaps it is this which is lingering on, and probably will diminish in time. Just an idea.

mainx
27-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Yea, both answers are reasonable. Do you think, if sprayed with perfume, the cabin air filter could give so strong scent for such longer periods of time?

Geraldy212
27-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Well the cabin air filter is somewhat like a sponge, and surely can absorb and or remove odors. There are two types, one is just a plain filter, and one has activated carbon. The activated carbon filter is specifically for cars fitted with air conditioners. What you could do it to take it out and see if it reeks of the fragrance. Never heard on anyone spraying one with perfume. Another explanation could be that someone dropped a bottle of fragrance somewhere in the car (look under the seats), or that someone was trying hard to eliminate the smell of tobacco (or even worse). One would expect the fragrance to diminish over time.

Fexo
27-07-2014, 11:06 AM
I have just had my air con topped up and they finished up with an anti-bacterial spray (for £10 more.......). i am now having to keep the windows open to get rid of the "pleasant" aroma.