PDA

View Full Version : water loss/ leaking

masters1977
19-09-2007, 05:06 PM
please can anyone help me with this but its a bit of a weird one..

i have a golf gti 1998 8v. it works fine as i am going forwards no leaks or anyting.. however when i am in reverse and come to a stop in reverse the car seems to empty my radiator of water. as long as i go forwards before i stop the car is generaly ok with minmal loss of water..

something else im am usure of is when i check the flow of water throughthe car it flows ok in idle but when i rev the engine this seems to stop the flow of water as i can not see it falling back into the tank..

any though on this folk

any help appreciated. :zx11:

masters1977
20-09-2007, 08:31 AM
hello again.. i spent nearly 2 hours yesterday with a mechanic to try and diagnose the problem.. we managed to recreate the leak by reversing and stoping in reverse then switching of the engine.. sure enough the water started pouring out.. the water was all coming out of the overflow valve built on the expansion tank.. the mechanic was baffled by this saying he never ssen this problem before as this never happens when the car goes forwards......

Please can anyone shed some light on this

masters1977
20-09-2007, 08:01 PM
hello again

well i think i have sorted it.. no need to laugh but after extensive research an speaking to various mechanics i found the the rubber seal under the radiator expansion tank cap had been dislodged. i have pushed this back into place and retightend cap.. i have no idea if this will work yet but so far so good.

i still dont undeerstand why the water would only shoot out of the over flow after i switched of the eginne after reversing, and never when i stopped after going forwards.

if anybody can shed light on this i would be glad to hear the explanation .

herby0001
21-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, that is a strange one. Anyone hazzard a guess?

masters1977
22-09-2007, 09:32 AM
i know i know.
the cap should havae been the first thing i checked but i had no idea that the to get to the overflow the water had to get through the cap first. infact i thought the overflow was completly seperate from the cap. BUT KNOW I KNOW DIFFERNT OF COURSE. ITS IS THE EXPANSION RADIATOR CAP THAT CONTROLLS THE FLOW THROUGH TO THE OVERFLOW i think this is the case mind.

still does not explain why water only overflowed after i stopped in reverse though