PDA

View Full Version : Will VAGCOM bamboozle me ?

headache56
19-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I have an intermitent problem causing severe jerkiness when accelerating hard in my Passat 1.8T. My VAGCOM-equipped main VW dealer wrongly diagnosed the problem was due to a faulty Lambda senor. However a new Lambda senosr, a full service (with new spark plugs etc) and a new MAF all fixed have not rectified the probelm. May I ask:

(1)
Is it likely that a Vagcom diagnostic will identify my probelm.
(2)
Is it likely that a dealer would be prepared to run a Vagcom diagnostc for me and give me the output (in hard or soft copy).
(3)
How much might a dealer charge me for this ?
(4)
Would I understand the output or is it gobbledegook / can I get a "translation" from this site or anywhere else please ?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

:(

Sam
19-09-2007, 11:55 AM
(1) Likely yes, definite, no
(2) Yes
(3) Usually their hourly labour rate. Skoda dealers are said to be the cheapest for this servivce
(4) It looks like gibberish, but we have a lot of knowledgable people on this site who would be able to offer you a translation.

Not all faults are picked up by VAGCOM or by the dealer's equipment. VAGCOM offers more functions over the dealer's kit, but of course you'll have to buy it, have a suitable computer and so on.

A quick(er) fix is to find someone in your area to do a scan for you. The going rate is usually a few beer tokens.