PDA

View Full Version : Chips & BOSE

yabeeb
13-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Hi.

I got a used Audi A3 a month and a half ago. Was in mint condition until i drove it home from the dealer and got 2 chips in the bonnet. Was just coming to terms with this and have spotted another one. Now, call me a whiner but my former Renault Clio had not ONE chip in the bonnet after 8yrs of caning it round the M25. So how come i pay 14k for an Audi and get 3 in a month and a half?? And more importantly, what do i do? I've had a couple of blokes look and apparently one's gone through the XXX (dunno the name of it) but basically the layer that means if i don't deal with it, the paint will go all **** and the bonnet will start to rust. So Audi ordered me some paint which i assume i have to put on like tipex and from what i've read it will look a bit dodgy anyway (certainly if i attempt to do it). So I took it to a local body place and they said the same that left untreated it will eventually rust. I said how long and he shrugged and said 6 month, 1 year, 2 years! I take from his response he didn't really know. Then he told me he would not get involved with a tipex job, and that a respray is what they could offer me for 200 notes. So my question is do i just leave it and respray in a couple of years when presumably i will have shed loads more chips, or find someone to tipex it asap?

Secondly, does anyone find that BOSE is a bit kak? Again, my trusty 05 clio might not have had the base but i reckon it had a more rounded sound than the audi BOSE system does. I can't explain it. I dunno if its cos the trebles all tinny or if the speakers are a bit poo or what. I am taking it to Audi tomoz as i am sure one of the front ones is bust as it crackles intermittently - but i don't think even getting that fixed would improve things much. So my next questions is how do i improve the sound of the BOSE?? Its a 2011 model so not that old.

Thanks in advance for reading my rant and for any words of wisdom!

alankru
17-07-2014, 06:44 PM
I would expect that your sound is better now that your speaker(s) have been replaced?

Regarding the chips; when I bought my first A3 it had a lot of chips on the bonnet. I recall one was a 1cm "slit" that had gone down to the metal (many of the others had gone down to the white undercoat and the car was black). I asked an acquaintance who is in the profession of repairing this and he recommended that I get the touch up paint and a very fine paint brush used by artists and use very fine strokes to touch it up. I never did get around to doing this and I have recently sold the car having had it for 4 years. It didn't deteriorate during this time. My replacement A3 also has chips in the bonnet but the majority have been touched up before I got the car.

yabeeb
17-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks Alankru. That's really useful info. Turns out the speaker and the tweeter and possibly the amp are bust. Gonna take it back to the dealer and also get them to assess the chips while i'm there. 2 birds and all that!