PDA

View Full Version : Map upgrade

soft
13-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Hi,
have anyone done a map upgrade?
Price seems rather high, I'm on 2011 maps still, and Google gives me a uptodate map, even if the car thinks it's off-road :-)

If you have, are there any other "cool stuff" that comes with the upgrade?

M1tchy
13-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Not upgraded mine yet but when it goes in for its first years service ( 3-4 months) I will be asking them to update it for free, I've got some literature with the car that says the first three years map upgrades are free so will take them up on it. I doubt any more options will come available, I think that's from software upgrades?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

soft
13-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Not upgraded mine yet but when it goes in for its first years service ( 3-4 months) I will be asking them to update it for free, I've got some literature with the car that says the first three years map upgrades are free so will take them up on it. I doubt any more options will come available, I think that's from software upgrades?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bought mine second hand, believe free is only for 1.st owner.
in my Mercedes the map upgrade included some new display modes, and minor graphics smoothing.
then again, it also included new firmware to driv the maps, do not belive that is the case with audi.
Just had a upgrade to latest MMI, some nice new features there :-)

shabazmo
14-07-2014, 12:24 AM
I had mine upgraded to 2013 maps, and it cost me lots, about £230. So shant be doing it for another 3 years.

mjkpio
15-07-2014, 07:27 AM
I had mine upgraded to 2013 maps, and it cost me lots, about £230. So shant be doing it for another 3 years.

And did it provide many improvements? (Other than a few new roads?)
Eg can you search 6-digit postcodes r/t 4 (which is annoying!)? Etc?

I have a 2011 A5 and unfortunately forgot to ask about maps when I had the service done last month - typical! But not sure if it would really be worth the cost if I did it now. (Unless it's free)

Can't remember the version I have but it has 3D buildings at least!

soft
15-07-2014, 07:39 AM
And did it provide many improvements? (Other than a few new roads?)
Eg can you search 6-digit postcodes r/t 4 (which is annoying!)? Etc?

I have a 2011 A5 and unfortunately forgot to ask about maps when I had the service done last month - typical! But not sure if it would really be worth the cost if I did it now. (Unless it's free)

Can't remember the version I have but it has 3D buildings at least!
I have stopped to use the navi data to find places, if I want to go to "Big Ben", I use online search and type in Big Ben.

shabazmo
15-07-2014, 10:21 AM
I didn't notice any improvement other than newer roads. The A7 came with a 7 digit postcode from new in 2011.

@mark
16-07-2014, 08:36 AM
When I upgraded mine last year (like you I had 2011 maps although I did have full post code entry) I did get some new features including Street View, 3D Buildings (in some cities) and added functionality to the bluetooth connection where it would sync my iPhones address book even if I was using the built in SIM.

mjkpio
16-07-2014, 09:01 AM
What MMI do you have @Mark? It seems like there are so many different variations people have!

I have MMI 3G (HDD based nav with the 40GB jukebox).

I can sync my iPhones address book and calls over the Bluetooth, but I CAN'T sync music over Bluetooth. (Have to use the cable in the Glovebox or SD cards for that).

My Nav has 3D buildings in quite a few towns, but haven't seen Street View, and can only do 4/5 letter post codes (ie not the full postcode).

My maps are pretty up to date, and I was told when I bought it that the previous owner had updated the maps recently.

One annoying 'feature' at the moment is when there's traffic ahead it says "traffic disruptions ahead, calculating alternative route" ... 1 min later ... "Can't find alternative route". It does that 100% of the time!

@mark
16-07-2014, 09:08 AM
So audio over bluetooth needs the AMI however I had that so playing the likes of Spotify etc from my iPhone over bluetooth worked just fine

I had the HDD based NAV. When I got the car is was on ECE 5.13.8 - 2012 Edition which I then upgraded

mjkpio
16-07-2014, 09:15 AM
So this is the version I'm on. Looks older than yours. Any idea what the current version available is?

Also, I though I had AMI! How can I check?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/16/upynuvyq.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/16/ry5aquqy.jpg

@mark
17-07-2014, 07:53 AM
So this is the version I'm on. Looks older than yours. Any idea what the current version available is?

Also, I though I had AMI! How can I check?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/16/upynuvyq.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/16/ry5aquqy.jpg

That's not an A7!!!

So the MMI system, version numbers and so on will be different

soft
17-07-2014, 07:58 AM
That's not an A7!!!

:-)

mjkpio
17-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Good shout, didn't see which forum area the thread was in! (Just saw the map discussion on tapatalk - it's not easy to spot!)

derwill
07-10-2014, 12:17 PM
My 11 month old car is currently with the Audi dealership I originally purchased the car from for issues with the MMI freezing. I requested a map update and was told I had to pay for the maps and installation. This has been confirmed by Audi Uk. I could have sworn that it was either mentioned or I read in the literature that came with the car, that I had free map updates for the first 3 years. I get worried when I have such discrepancies in service from the 'experts'.

M1tchy
07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
I thought it had free maps for the first three years too. Mine is in for its 1 year service in a few weeks and will ask the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@mark
07-10-2014, 01:02 PM
I thought it had free maps for the first three years too. Mine is in for its 1 year service in a few weeks and will ask the same question.

The first 3 years deal only applies to the first owner normally.

derwill
07-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Yes I bought the car new and I am the first registered owner

M1tchy
07-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Yes I bought the car new and I am the first registered owner

Same as me.

Jim Walker
07-10-2014, 02:07 PM
when we purchased our Q7 we were told the the map updates were free for the first 3 years also. I am going to try this next week when it is in for a service.

@mark
07-10-2014, 02:13 PM
So from the CURRENT A7 brochure it clearly stated

Online Map updatesThe map version delivered can be updated with the first 5
updates which are issued at intervals of 6 months. The Current
navigation data can be downloaded from the myAudi Platform at
myAudi Login (http://www.audi.com/myaudi) and installed in the vehicle via SD card.
In conjunction with Audi connect, the update can be carried out
online in the vehicle. In addition it is possible to have the new
navigation data installed by an Audi partner at extra cost.

I would try and get your hands on the relevant brochure for when you bought the car and wave that under the service managers nose. I only have a 2012 brochure here and there is no mention in that

Furillo
10-10-2014, 06:20 PM
As she's going in for a service I checked with local dealer re map updates and response was have to pay. Price £200. I also asked about latest firmware update but dealer said the latest firmware version is "unavailable" Before I ask them what they mean by unavailable am I missing anything re the firmware update. I was assuming this was available. Car Media version is P0532 and maps 5.13.8

hash67
31-10-2014, 09:00 PM
All so i have a my2014 car, delivered in September 2013 and the car is in for it's first service, no free map update according to dealer and audi uk. It appears the free upgrade is a myth and perhaps transposed from peoples experience with other brands.

Now in the new a7 brochure (facelift) it does say free upgrades for the first 5 but that has the new mmi system so not applicable, i have found my brochure and it does not mention free upgrades so if anybody has any documents that prove it please share it may benefit us all

thanks

hash67
14-11-2014, 09:49 PM
all just as an update, the dealer did the upgrade foc anyway as because they did some other warranty work they were allowed to? either not driven it yet so verify any changes

thanks