PDA

View Full Version : Drivers door key barrel ....... Gone!

Bleeno
19-09-2007, 09:20 AM
First tech post on the forum so here goes .....

Just bought my lad a 1995 1.4 Golf Match and the Drivers door key barrel is missing. Can I assume that I'll have to go to a VAG dealer to order a barrel that matched the key or will I have to change all the locks? Has anyone else had a similar problem and how much did it cost them?

Thanks in anticipation

Bleeno
24-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Managed to sort the missing barrel ..... apparently this is a common problem with this type of door lock. The problem is caused by the aluminium bit that physically connects the key barrel to the door unlocking mechanism where the hook on the end of it snaps off. This allows the brass mechanism on the end of the barrel to fall into the door thereby allowing the key barrel to be withdrawn. All I did was to swap the drivers door handle/lock with the passengers side and managed to get another from a scrappy with a key. Its very simple to remove the door handle etc by undoing one angled screw from the door. This allows the handle to be moved towards the front of the door and then extracted in one movement. By the way, the key barrel from the tailgate lock won't fit the doors. Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

zedmeister
28-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi Bleeno,

You are right, this is a common problem. Its really easy to fix if you do not want to end up with different keys for each door - you can replace the parts for the barrel with the new uprated ones and if you use the little metal levers and springs from the old barrel, you can use the same key. There was an article on this on one of the other forums - anyway it happened to me and I fixed my car - same key now on both sides.