PDA

View Full Version : Glovebox stiff.

Bugbear
19-09-2007, 08:24 AM
The glovebox on my B7 A4 is very stiff to open and in danger of breaking. Is it an easy fix, or a trip back to the dealers.

A thread search reveals others with this problem but mainly on older cars.

Thanks

Gary.

Bugbear
24-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, I've sorted it myself.
Remove the side panel and lubricate the glovebox ram. Works fine now.

dockermel
05-02-2012, 08:05 PM
hi can you explain how to do this any pics?? thanks

warp_speed
06-02-2012, 01:25 PM
hi can you explain how to do this any pics?? thanks

Easy stuff, open your passenger door and you will see a plastic cover the covers the side of the dash board and glove box, if you open the glove box look along the edge of the plastic cover, you will see a square notch near the bottom edge, put your key or flat bladed screw driver into the notch and twist, this will separate the cover from the side. Once you pull it off you will see the glove-box dampener. I would suggest replacing it, instead of lubricating it as you can't get oil/grease inside the cylinder which is where you problem is. Think it costs around £14 for a new one, don't forget to order the pin as well if you do.

To remove use a screwdriver and plier to remove the small plastic pin, once its removed you can move the cylinder further up to a point where it can be removed, disconnect the glove box light connector and replace. Best of luck. Sorry I don't have pictures, but you can google and I'm sure you will find a "how to" somewhere ;-)

steveheather
06-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi.
I can't argue with the assertion that a new damper will solve the problem. However, liberally spraying a silicon lubricant into the piston ram area while carefully working the piston in and out for a few cycles does the job admirably and seems to last well too.
I used some of that Lidl silicon stuff that comes in a yellow aerosol - works perfectly.

Steve

OVI82
06-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Agree with the above.There's no need to change/replace anything unless it's already broken.Some silicone spray and than operate the glovebox open/close a few times and your sorted.Done the same with mine and it's been fine for over 1 year now.