PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Kit for new alloys

Camerashy
08-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Please excuse my ignorance.....I'm looking at getting some new alloys for my new A4 and when looking at various websites it says they come with a fitting kit....what is this please and are they difficult to fit....if to do with camber could you explain please as I don't know anything about this.
also I'm not sure whether to buy new tyres for the new alloys or have my existing tyres transferred over.....anyone done something similar and ideas on which option is best please
thanks
dave

Boy
08-07-2014, 09:45 PM
If your tyres are good swop them to the new tyres.
I have no idea about a fitting kit.

Embisix
09-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I imagine the fitting kit is simply new wheel bolts.

If they are not OEM Audi wheels, the countersink in the alloy may be different so standard bolts won't sit properly perhaps....

sportq
09-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Audi changed hub size on the A4 B8 so alloys for any previous generation of A4 don't fit, was 57.1mm now 66.6mm. The fitting kit could be an adaptor or spacer to use more common size on the newer car and therefore stock less variants. You could always ask them ;)

Peter

Camerashy
09-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks all, appreciate your help
dave

rafletcher
09-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Audi changed hub size on the A4 B8 so alloys for any previous generation of A4 don't fit, was 57.1mm now 66.6mm. The fitting kit could be an adaptor or spacer to use more common size on the newer car and therefore stock less variants. You could always ask them ;)

Peter

Nope - you cannot adapt 57.1mm wheel to fit a 66.mm spigot. You can only do the reverse - ie use newer wheels on older B7 (and before) cars.

bez101
10-07-2014, 08:05 PM
you can adapt a 57.1mm to fit a 66mm wheel easy
buy the parts needed bolt on and then you can fit 57.1

rafletcher
11-07-2014, 11:39 AM
you can adapt a 57.1mm to fit a 66mm wheel easy
buy the parts needed bolt on and then you can fit 57.1

Please show me where - would help me out!

neilos100
11-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Must admit...this is news to me too.
Don't see how you can fit a 66mm peg in a 57mm hole without 1) re-boring the hole to the correct size....or 2) Using spacers but this would make the wheels stand proud way too much.
Doing a quick google I can find no parts that would allow this.
Other way round no problem with spigot rings but putting a 57.1mm wheel on a 66.6mm hub is not straightforward.

bez101
12-07-2014, 05:09 PM
hub adaptors bul do will make you any size you need

bez101
12-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Nope - you cannot adapt 57.1mm wheel to fit a 66.mm spigot. You can only do the reverse

my reply was to your post

hub adaptors are spacers aswell so my reply was base on the fact it can be done you just have to get wheels with a high offset and hub adaptors to match.

zollaf
12-07-2014, 07:12 PM
you could also give the wheels to someone with a big enough lathe and get them to make the bores bigger.

sportq
18-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Nope - you cannot adapt 57.1mm wheel to fit a 66.mm spigot. You can only do the reverse - ie use newer wheels on older B7 (and before) cars.

Uh, yes you can 'cos I've done it. A local machine shop bored the hole out in under an hour. I'm not sure about fitting the newer alloys (with a bigger hole for the hub) on an older hub is a good idea as whilst it would fit, the boss on the hub is used to centre the wheel, you'd need a spacer and I've heard stories of these shearing.

Pete

neilos100
18-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Of course you could indeed go that way...but I think it would concern me that almost a centimeter of metal is being removed from the wheel. Could just imagining ne insurance companies having a field day with this...let alone the weakening of the wheel rim that has been specifically designed to precise tolerances.
I use 66 mm on a my a6 which has 57mm hubs with no issues...just need spigot rings to drop the size down and ensure correct centering.
Neil

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

sportq
18-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Of course you could indeed go that way...but I think it would concern me that almost a centimeter of metal is being removed from the wheel. Could just imagining ne insurance companies having a field day with this...let alone the weakening of the wheel rim that has been specifically designed to precise tolerances.
I use 66 mm on a my a6 which has 57mm hubs with no issues...just need spigot rings to drop the size down and ensure correct centering.
Neil

There's actually very little metal removed as you don't need to bore all the way through the hole, just enough to accomodate the boss on the hub face, about 6mm deep by 4.5mm wide if I recall correctly. I was told by several places to avoid spigots/spacers and get them machined properly, I appreciate you can't do that if the hub is smaller than the centre hole on the alloy though.

Isn't an insurance company is far more likely to notice and query a non-original spigot than a 4.5mm difference in a genuine alloy wheel hole?

Pete