PDA

View Full Version : How To Easy fix for dash speaker distortion

Embisix
05-07-2014, 11:19 PM
For anyone who's suffering from speach/midrange distortion from their B&O dash corner speakers, here's what to do.

The distortion is actually caused by the speaker grilles. There's a very small amount of movement in them and they vibrate at certain sound frequencies, especially when using hands free.

1. Get yourself a flat tipped Bojo (or similar) prying tool. I'd recommend one with a fairly wide tip so as to avoid putting too much stress on the edge of grille.

2. Ease it under the rear edge of the grille and pop the retaining clips. CARE! Make sure you start in the centre as the outer edge is very thin and the corners very fragile - you could easily break them. Ease the tool towards the outer edges and down the sides and once all clips are released, pull the grill backwards towards you.

3. With the grille removed, apply thin strips of double-sided trim/badge tape to the underside outer edges of the grille.

4. Remove the backing paper and replace the grille by hooking the front three tabs in first and gently re-engaging the side and rear clips.

5. Voila, no more movement and no more distortion.

6. Repeat process on other side.

Note. I also noticed a bit of movement in the centre speaker grille (but no apparent sound distortion), so while I was at it, I popped up the rear edge of this grille and stuck a thin strip of the same tape under the rear edge. Again, no more movement.

Jon done!

allanmb
06-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Are you talking about the speakers on top of the dash? I've never noticed any rattling with these. I have, however, got some mild rattling on my front door speakers with some frequencies. Do you think this would help those?

Embisix
06-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Yep, talking about the speakers on top of the dash.

I guess it could work for the door speakers too. Certainly wouldn't do any harm giving it a try.

I believe the door speaker grilles are removed in a similar way and if, like the dash grilles, they're not damped in any way and simply clipped into place, this could be the cause of your issue...

Longdog
07-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I had my car in for a service last week and asked them to listen to the front speakers as I could hear a bit of distortion whilst listening to certain stations, anyway long story short I need two new speakers. I'll let you know if this solves it or whether it was indeed the grill vibrating - which wouldn't surprise me.