PDA

View Full Version : Component Protection Query

Boy
30-06-2014, 09:51 PM
I shall also probably need CP removed from a DAB concert head unit which I have acquired for my A4 B8.
Does anyone know what it wold be reasonable for a dealer to charge for that?

I've tried the DAB Concert head in my car and although it seems to work, there is no sound.
Is that (1) component protection
(2) coding requirement
or (3) a need for me to tell my car with VCDS that it has a different head unit?
It has not shown any message asking for a code.

gregpot2000
05-07-2014, 12:33 AM
I'm pretty sure this is component protection. I had it when I had mine changed. Be aware you may need different extra wiring for the dab signal to be received as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Boy
05-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks.
I appreciate that I shall need to connect a DAB aerial.
My car is it the dealer now and they say that they have removed CP
but that it still makes no sound! I am wondering if they did it properly.
It was asking me to switch on the ignition to overcome CP and when I did,
the screen would show stations etc, but I had no sound.
Does yours still ask for the ignition to be turned on?

gregpot2000
05-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Hmm that's strange. They removed the protection from mine and it worked straight away. This was around 3 years ago and not a single issue since

Boy
05-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks Greg,
Perhaps they have not done it properly!
I shall report after I get the car back on Monday.

Audi Doctor
08-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Have u tried it on fm mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy
08-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Audi Doctor, that was exactly what I was hoping and as soon as I got to the car this morning I changed the wavelength and immediately had sound. The Audi tech had just not tried that.
So now my new head unit works and I just have to sort out an aerial. I am nervous about buying an aerial amplifier on ebay without
knowing what part number to go for. Does anyone have an advice?

Audi Doctor
08-07-2014, 10:28 PM
If u give me the chassis no and any other details u can get for me al get u the correct part no's and even discounted parts from Audi dealer if u dont really trust eBay as I am an Audi technician

Audi Doctor
08-07-2014, 11:02 PM
A will get all the part no's etc u need to get it dne.enjoy ure holiday and msg me when ure back and we'll get things sorted wether through eBay or Audi

djwoody
15-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi.
I have just installed a second hand Concert Headunit into my A4 (mainly for the 32gb SD functionality) and it needs the Component Protection removing.
My car is booked in with Audi tomorrow, however, I received a phone call from Audi yesterday saying they might not be able to take off the Component Protection because it is from another vehicle. Is this true?
I really hope not as I'd have to put my old headunit back in and only have 2Gb SDs :-(

Chris

Boy
21-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Chris,
How did it go at the dealer? I hope they succeeded.
I found once my replacement head unit had been deCPed
that it did not recognise the auxiliary input and guess it expected to
detect AMI which mine does not have. Now I need to either fit an AMI
if that I possible, or tell the head unit via vcds to detect the auxiliary input.
Does anyone know which is possible?

gregpot2000
22-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Both are possible

Boy
22-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks Greg. Presumably introducing my head unit to my AUX input will be relatively easy? Any hints?

gregpot2000
22-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Yeah. Don't have my laptop to hand though. Do you have vcds? Its just a case of going into sound system or radio module. Not sure which and clicking on adaptation. Then long code helper I think. Click on the bits until you see the option in a tick box. Tick it and click do it and that should be it!

Boy
22-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks Greg. Yes, I have vcds, so will give it a try at the week-end.

Boy
23-07-2014, 10:04 PM
I tried this. Entered Radio module and selected Coding, then Long Code Helper and there saw two options which looked likely. Analog Aux
monitoring, and Analog Aux. I tried each separately and both together, but no joy. I'm no sure what to try next. The screen still does not detect the Aux socket or the iphone which I connected to it.

gregpot2000
23-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Hmm it should be something like that...ill try and have another look tomorrow night.

Boy
29-07-2014, 10:35 PM
I am a bit stuck with this. I have recoded so that the head unit should find my AUX connection but it still says on the screen that it is "empty". In the other thread it was said that you also have to disable the AMI, but I have not found any way to do that. Anyone have any further ideas please?

gregpot2000
29-07-2014, 11:42 PM
I think there is something like media player, or Mobile media player that needs to be deactivated? Or mdi or something like that

Boy
02-08-2014, 06:55 PM
I have tried to find a way of deactivating the MMI without success. I found Media in one menu but it offered no codes.
wonder if anyone has any helpful suggestions?