PDA

View Full Version : Celtic tuning / limp mode

KevinM2k
28-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Hi.

Had my 60k miles 2010 b8 a4 2.0t tuned by celtic tuning couple of days ago. Put it upto 264bhp and 310torque. First day it was fine and really quick.

Second day coming home from work it went into limp mode. I gave the engineers a call and he said the b8 is prone to this after reseting the ecu it'll happen a couple more times but will clear up by middle of next week. Restarting the engine made it go back to normal and it hasn't happened again yet but haven't drove enough to try.

When he did the car he told me to drive it hard for first week to get the ecu on track etc. So i'm wondering whether it could be something to do with this as I was taking it easy.

Does this sound right? Last thing I wanna do is wreck the turbo or engine really but the mod does feel amazing so wouldn't really want to get rid.

Thanks

Kevin

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

KevinM2k
29-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Just an update I've driven quite a bit since and it hadn't gone into limp mode although does feel like it's struggling to get enough fuel occasionally . Does vpower petrol make a difference from supermarket fuel?

Eshrules
30-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Hi.

Had my 60k miles 2010 b8 a4 2.0t tuned by celtic tuning couple of days ago. Put it upto 264bhp and 310torque. First day it was fine and really quick.

Second day coming home from work it went into limp mode. I gave the engineers a call and he said the b8 is prone to this after reseting the ecu it'll happen a couple more times but will clear up by middle of next week. Restarting the engine made it go back to normal and it hasn't happened again yet but haven't drove enough to try.

When he did the car he told me to drive it hard for first week to get the ecu on track etc. So i'm wondering whether it could be something to do with this as I was taking it easy.

Does this sound right? Last thing I wanna do is wreck the turbo or engine really but the mod does feel amazing so wouldn't really want to get rid.

Thanks

Kevin

Just an update I've driven quite a bit since and it hadn't gone into limp mode although does feel like it's struggling to get enough fuel occasionally . Does vpower petrol make a difference from supermarket fuel?

How did the car run on the Dyno test after the map was applied?

And how about when Celtic Tuning road tested the vehicle after applying the map?

IMHO - if the car was without fault before the map was applied but developed an issue after the map was applied, it's down to Celtic Tuning to investigate and resolve.

I don't understand the remapping process well enough to question their statement, but it does sound rather like a fob off to me.

IMHO

KevinM2k
30-06-2014, 08:22 AM
How did the car run on the Dyno test after the map was applied?

And how about when Celtic Tuning road tested the vehicle after applying the map?

IMHO - if the car was without fault before the map was applied but developed an issue after the map was applied, it's down to Celtic Tuning to investigate and resolve.

I don't understand the remapping process well enough to question their statement, but it does sound rather like a fob off to me.

IMHO

It was a mobile service so they cannot provide a dyno although they said if i'm ever down newquay way, i'm free to pop over and get it on the dyno. Basically they take the ecu out of the car download the software that is on it, send it to the team, they match it with a pre-mapped version they have on the same car, send back the new software, and that is loaded on to the ecu and it is put back in the car.

The difference before and after is quite dramatic and I did take it on a test drive afterwards with the engineer and it was excellent. I don't think they are fobbing me off as they said if i'm still having the issue on wednesday this week to give them a call and they'll come out and run some diagnostics on it.

A remap would highlight any issues with the car, and if my fuel filter is slightly blocked, asking it for more power and fuel would highlight this and I am starting to think this is the issue - It hasn't gone in to limp mode since last friday and i've driven it quite a bit now, it does occasionally feel like its not getting the fuel it needs but hardly ever. I'm going to try swapping tesco fuel with vpower for a couple of weeks if only to clean the fuel filter and see if that makes any difference.

If i'm still having issues this time next week then i'll give celtic a ring and i'm sure they'll send an engineer out quite sharpish to get it resolved.

Kevin

Eshrules
30-06-2014, 09:06 AM
It was a mobile service so they cannot provide a dyno although they said if i'm ever down newquay way, i'm free to pop over and get it on the dyno. Basically they take the ecu out of the car download the software that is on it, send it to the team, they match it with a pre-mapped version they have on the same car, send back the new software, and that is loaded on to the ecu and it is put back in the car.

The difference before and after is quite dramatic and I did take it on a test drive afterwards with the engineer and it was excellent. I don't think they are fobbing me off as they said if i'm still having the issue on wednesday this week to give them a call and they'll come out and run some diagnostics on it.

A remap would highlight any issues with the car, and if my fuel filter is slightly blocked, asking it for more power and fuel would highlight this and I am starting to think this is the issue - It hasn't gone in to limp mode since last friday and i've driven it quite a bit now, it does occasionally feel like its not getting the fuel it needs but hardly ever. I'm going to try swapping tesco fuel with vpower for a couple of weeks if only to clean the fuel filter and see if that makes any difference.

If i'm still having issues this time next week then i'll give celtic a ring and i'm sure they'll send an engineer out quite sharpish to get it resolved.

Kevin

Was a test drive and diagnostic scan completed before the vehicle was remapped?

I've seen some grumbles about Celtic Tuning, so I'm always dubious when I see their name mentioned.

I'm even more dubious when the remapper isn't actually doing the mapping.

KevinM2k
30-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Was a test drive and diagnostic scan completed before the vehicle was remapped?

I've seen some grumbles about Celtic Tuning, so I'm always dubious when I see their name mentioned.

I'm even more dubious when the remapper isn't actually doing the mapping.

No diagnostics before, but it has been in to audi less than a month ago, so they would of highlighted any major issues - they wouldn't have picked up the fuel filter though.

I've read a lot of these companies simply send the software back to the head office and just get a remapped piece sent back, its not just Celtic Tuning that do that - i'm sure if they had a lot of issues with a certain vehicle they would realise there is a problem as they do offer a 14 day money back guarantee, and if your car is in warranty they'll do a years warranty to cover it.

I think celtic push the cars a bit more than other tuning companies and that might be the cause of some of the grumbles but i've had a few friends get there car done with celtic and haven't had any major long term issues - a clutch here or there, but that is expected for an older car normally.

I'm just not aware about limp mode and why it occurs really, hence the thread. If limp mode is a major issue then I don't want to leave it and see if it goes away, if its normal with remaps initially then i'm not too worried.

Kevin

Eshrules
30-06-2014, 09:37 AM
No diagnostics before, but it has been in to audi less than a month ago, so they would of highlighted any major issues - they wouldn't have picked up the fuel filter though.

I've read a lot of these companies simply send the software back to the head office and just get a remapped piece sent back, its not just Celtic Tuning that do that - i'm sure if they had a lot of issues with a certain vehicle they would realise there is a problem as they do offer a 14 day money back guarantee, and if your car is in warranty they'll do a years warranty to cover it.

I think celtic push the cars a bit more than other tuning companies and that might be the cause of some of the grumbles but i've had a few friends get there car done with celtic and haven't had any major long term issues - a clutch here or there, but that is expected for an older car normally.

I'm just not aware about limp mode and why it occurs really, hence the thread. If limp mode is a major issue then I don't want to leave it and see if it goes away, if its normal with remaps initially then i'm not too worried.

Kevin

Limp mode is always a major issue, especially when you don't know the cause.

A vehicle entering limp mode 'should' be leaving diagnostic codes.

Whether or not the vehicle had been into Audi, any decent remapper should be completing (at least) a diagnostic scan to make sure the vehicle isn't harbouring any serious issues.

I'm very surprised Celtic Tuning didn't do that.

The grumbles I've read (and heard) haven't been anything to do with pushing vehicles 'harder' than other remappers, but the extent to which I can expand is limited by the position I hold on this forum.

My first step would be per my first post - get it back to Celtic Tuning and ask them to complete a diagnostic scan and work out why the vehicle is entering limp mode.

If it was fine before the remap...

zollaf
30-06-2014, 10:11 AM
swapping from tesco fuel to shell v power will not clean the fuel filter. first job, get it serviced. new filters and oil, diag scan, and go from there.