PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Cheshire

ShunterMonkey
27-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi all

It is under mixed emotions I find myself here at your forum. The most unreliable car in the world, my Renault Megane II has failed to start for the final time and I have decided to send it to the big scrap heap in the sky (for £145 ;) ). Don't know whats up, don't care. I have had enough. Anyway, I have been offered an A4 and was looking for every bit of information I can find to help me make the right decision.

The car is a A4 B5 on about an 'S' plate. One previous owner, has been looked after very well, full service history from day one (last service was done Feb), spotless inside and just a minor scratch on the outside and 114,000 miles on the clock and all for £450 as we know the seller and we have said how quick we need the car. Car developed a misfire but told it will be fixed before we get first refusal.

So, seeing as you know all that I know so far, would you be tempted? What should I be looking out for when I see it later? Apparently it is the same engine as what is in my dads Passat of the same age. What are parts cost, general running cost like?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am running around in my mums 208 so you should understand my urgency.

Thanks

Andy

Sam
27-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Welcome to VWAF :)

The car is a A4 B5 on about an 'S' plate. One previous owner, has been looked after very well, full service history from day one (last service was done Feb), spotless inside and just a minor scratch on the outside and 114,000 miles on the clock and all for £450 as we know the seller and we have said how quick we need the car. Car developed a misfire but told it will be fixed before we get first refusal.

Old(er) but with very low mileage and a full service history - massive plus points.

£450 is awfully cheap and well worth a punt but...

So, seeing as you know all that I know so far, would you be tempted? What should I be looking out for when I see it later? Apparently it is the same engine as what is in my dads Passat of the same age. What are parts cost, general running cost like?

...without knowing your dad or what engine is in his Passat it's hard to say if it's a bargain or not.

1.6 probably better leaving it

1.8 as above

1.8T offers endless fun but turbo issues.

1.9 TDI offers endless reliability but may not be suited for whatever driving you do - long/short, lots/few, etc.

2.5 TDI as above

2.8 V6 bite his arm off, Suarez-style.

Look out for suspension pops creaks and rattles, look out for damp footwells, if it's an Avant, damp boot or failing rear boot lock.

If it's been well looked after which, from your brief description, it sounds like it has, then have a go, see what you think.

Don't forget that while it may be cheap at £450, it was once a £20k car.

ShunterMonkey
27-06-2014, 01:26 PM
1.6 probably better leaving it

1.8 as above

1.8T offers endless fun but turbo issues.

1.9 TDI offers endless reliability but may not be suited for whatever driving you do - long/short, lots/few, etc.

2.5 TDI as above

2.8 V6 bite his arm off, Suarez-style.

Look out for suspension pops creaks and rattles, look out for damp footwells, if it's an Avant, damp boot or failing rear boot lock.

If it's been well looked after which, from your brief description, it sounds like it has, then have a go, see what you think.

Don't forget that while it may be cheap at £450, it was once a £20k car.

So basically unless it is a 2.8 V6, stick with the Megane lol

I couldn't tell you what is in the Passat of my dads, but he seems happy with the engine. I only need it for a year or so then I will be getting a newer one, so think this may be OK as a put on.

As mentioned, I am going to have a look at it later. If I remember, I might get some pictures. Don't even know if it has a boot spoiler!!

Thanks for the info. Will update once Ive seen it.

Andy

Sam
27-06-2014, 02:02 PM
How many miles do you do a year?

It's pointless getting a derv just to do a 3 mile town road daily commute. Likewise it's not ideal getting a petrol to do a 300 mile motorway daily commute.

Not sure if the boot spoiler makes any difference but good luck all the same!

ShunterMonkey
27-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I travel a 36 mile round trip across the M62 to Manchester 5 days a week plus any around town driving to the shops. Hopefully it can cruise the motorways as I would like to take the wife to the lakes or mid wales. I think if the misfire gets sorted then I will probably get it as I need a car that works.

Boot spoilers are there for pure style and couldn't push the back end down even with a brick tied to it. That bit of trim just some how change the appearance of a car.

Eshrules
27-06-2014, 02:49 PM
It's a £500 car, without being offhand - if it's got a full MOT and tax, unless there is something seriously wrong with it just take it and run it around for the next 12 months.

If it passes the next MOT without too much work - bonus.

Hard to give any proper advice without any idea of its true age or engine type.

FWIW - I used to do the same mileage with my 43bhp polo coupé - I sold that 2 years later for nearly £200 more than what you're looking at.

I'm sure an A4 will cope with it just fine, with or without the rear downforce ;)