PDA

View Full Version : DAB solutions

@lpher
24-06-2014, 11:08 PM
Hi guys

Just curious as to what DAB solutions you are using. I've tried quite a few, being in "the business", but i'd like to hear what solutions you are using and the pros and cons of that particular system :)

So far the best integrated system I've tested on the MMI 3G+ are Kufatecs Fistune set and Densions DAB+U system. I am also aware that you UK guys can make due with the older non-DAB+ OEM variant as of today, as these (used) can be had for next to nothing at the moment as the rest of Europe are moving away from DAB in favour of DAB+ :)

@mark
25-06-2014, 07:50 AM
So the UK and EU A7s have always come with DAB as standard so there is no need to retro fit.

Are you sure you don't have DAB on yours or that it's just not working?

EDIT:

I have just had a look at the Audi Norway website and see that EVERYTHING seems to be an option. Indeed it looks like a standard A7 in your country doesn't even come with sat nav as standard which I find amazing

M1tchy
25-06-2014, 09:04 AM
As mark says, all of our A7s come with DAB so I don't think you will get many replies I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soft
25-06-2014, 01:19 PM
I looked into this before getting my A7, and found that the best way was to get an OEM from e-bay, install, and then either use VCDS or go to the dealer to enable it.
I even think, thinking about it, that it don't need enabling...
Look at the german e-bay
Audi A4 A5 S5 RS5 4G0 035 061 D TV DAB Digital Radio Unit Most Tuner Free Post | eBay (http://goo.gl/CL4gmD)

I have this in my car:
Address 56: Radio (R) Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No SW: 4G0 035 061 J HW: 4G0 035 061
Component: Radio U DAB H52 0123
Revision: AB001007 Serial number: 109AS0B7508631
Coding: 010103010000000001
Shop #: WSC 02311 785 00200
VCID: 244DF24927C0DE9

@lpher
25-06-2014, 09:22 PM
So the UK and EU A7s have always come with DAB as standard so there is no need to retro fit.
Are you sure you don't have DAB on yours or that it's just not working?

Ahh...that explains it then... I think DAB and DAB+ is supposed to be standard from model year 2013 or 2014 on Audis on Norway. I'm positive my car doesnt have DAB as it's a German import and as far as i know the Germans didnt start taking DAB seriously until the last few years. That is...after my car was produced :)

EDIT:

I have just had a look at the Audi Norway website and see that EVERYTHING seems to be an option. Indeed it looks like a standard A7 in your country doesn't even come with sat nav as standard which I find amazing

Yepp, and i guess it's one of the reasons the A7 is so popular to import a "secondhand" one from Germany.

I looked into this before getting my A7, and found that the best way was to get an OEM from e-bay, install, and then either use VCDS or go to the dealer to enable it.
I even think, thinking about it, that it don't need enabling...
Look at the german e-bay
Audi A4 A5 S5 RS5 4G0 035 061 D TV DAB Digital Radio Unit Most Tuner Free Post | eBay (http://goo.gl/CL4gmD)

No DAB+ then i guess? I just installed the Kufatec Fistune, and as you say it turns out that you dont need to code to have it working :) (You could to have it show correctly in the listings, but theres no need for it functionalitywise)

Do you have the OEM antennamodule as well?

soft
26-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Ahh...that explains it then... I think DAB and DAB+ is supposed to be standard from model year 2013 or 2014 on Audis on Norway. I'm positive my car doesnt have DAB as it's a German import and as far as i know the Germans didnt start taking DAB seriously until the last few years. That is...after my car was produced :)

Ahh, sorry for the bad explanation I gave you!
I do indeed have a 2011 model A7, from Germany, with OEM DAB +, factory installed!.
So it seems that they did have DAB+ in German cars from the beginning, not saying it must be in yours.
The reason I did investigate in this was that IF I got a car without it, I wanted to know how to the best route to get it.

As a sidenote, do you have a SIM card in your car?

@lpher
27-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Ahh, sorry for the bad explanation I gave you!
I do indeed have a 2011 model A7, from Germany, with OEM DAB +, factory installed!.
So it seems that they did have DAB+ in German cars from the beginning, not saying it must be in yours.
The reason I did investigate in this was that IF I got a car without it, I wanted to know how to the best route to get it.

Ahh... I'm not saying the Germans didnt have DAB, just that it was optional and really not that usual of an option for Germans to buy into... :)

As a sidenote, do you have a SIM card in your car?

Nope...but I'm trying to find a way to retrofit it... Do you have it?

soft
27-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Nope...but I'm trying to find a way to retrofit it... Do you have it?

Yes, really enjoying the Goole maps, but even more the online features.
no need to search using adress, type in 'byggmakker Trondheim", and it will give you the adress to navigate to, even contact detail like phone number.
The google live traffic info around Oslo is also exellent !
Can really recommend it.
dont know if you can get these functions connecting a mobile phone?

M1tchy
27-06-2014, 10:07 PM
I've got a new World Cup option that has popped up over the past few weeks. Not tried it yet but noticed that it's there.

@lpher
27-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Yes, really enjoying the Goole maps, but even more the online features.
no need to search using adress, type in 'byggmakker Trondheim", and it will give you the adress to navigate to, even contact detail like phone number.
The google live traffic info around Oslo is also exellent !
Can really recommend it.

I had a sneaking suspicion that was you :)

dont know if you can get these functions connecting a mobile phone?

I really need to get to the bottom of this... There seems to be a retrofit kit available that does most of the things the OEM solution does, but I'm not 100% sure... Need to investigate further :)

@lpher
27-06-2014, 11:32 PM
I've got a new World Cup option that has popped up over the past few weeks. Not tried it yet but noticed that it's there.

Rub it in, will ya! :D What does the new addition do?

soft
28-06-2014, 10:54 AM

We are all waiting with antipitation for the deeper walk throng of this option :-)

On the other hand, I just bought this: http://goo.gl/N4WGpj
Wonder if I get this interface on the MMI? ;-)
I probably will when I finalize the Apple TV integration.

M1tchy
28-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Well, had a look at the World Cup option today and it's nothing special, just who is playing and when and the scores from all the previous matches. Also found another option for travelling abroad that tells you the rules and regs for whichever country you tell it you are going to visit.

Soft, are you integrating Apple TV into your car?

soft
28-06-2014, 08:25 PM
xx
Well, had a look at the World Cup option today and it's nothing special, just who is playing and when and the scores from all the previous matches. Also found another option for travelling abroad that tells you the rules and regs for whichever country you tell it you are going to visit.

Where did you find this things?

Soft, are you integrating Apple TV into your car?

My reply seems to have gone missing, retry,

Yes I have all the stuff needed, just need to get started
Parts:
ATV 12V power supply, needs to replace the internal 220V, DX.com
HDMI to composite converter, DX.com
12V power fir the HDMI, DX.com
Composite in for the TV tuner, kufatec.com

Plan to mount it all in the media bay rear.
The funny thing is that I just noted that it seems to be one aux video in active in the MMI, but do not have a clue where the connection is?

M1tchy
28-06-2014, 11:04 PM
I am really interested in how your ATV integration goes. The mrs says no already but still I like a challenge! I'd like it so whatever was on the centre screen was on the screens in the headrests too (don't have them yet but looking at options!)

soft
29-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Rub it in, will ya! :D What does the new addition do?

Found it!!, really nice!, all statistics and game info, popping up in real time on the HUD! :D

And the vacation info describing "how to" in different countries is really informative, and the best thing is the 25% discount voucher for hotel along the route you have set for your holiday destination! :p

M1tchy
29-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Not seem the info on my HUD, how did you manage that?

soft
30-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Not seem the info on my HUD, how did you manage that?

Sorry was just a joke to rubb it more in @ @lpher :-)

But the ATV project is on.

@lpher
01-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Sorry was just a joke to rubb it more in @ @lpher :-)

But the ATV project is on.

Blahh!!! :D Now i HAVE TO restrofit Google just to spite you! :D

@lpher
01-07-2014, 10:08 PM
I am really interested in how your ATV integration goes. The mrs says no already but still I like a challenge! I'd like it so whatever was on the centre screen was on the screens in the headrests too (don't have them yet but looking at options!)

If you have the OEM TV-tuner its "easy" to get a video signal out...but its a bit more tricky without this.... Still looking at options myself. Installed an active iPad holder for my daughter for the current trip we are on. Works quite well actually.

@lpher
01-07-2014, 10:10 PM
I probably will when I finalize the Apple TV integration.

Hmm...curious :) Tell us ALL the details :)

soft
02-07-2014, 07:58 AM
If you have the OEM TV-tuner its "easy" to get a video signal out...but its a bit more tricky without this.... Still looking at options myself. Installed an active iPad holder for my daughter for the current trip we are on. Works quite well actually.
Can you elaborate ?, I need an iPad holder for the grandson.

soft
02-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Blahh!!! :D Now i HAVE TO restrofit Google just to spite you! :D
Have a look at this:
http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2443.0
I have also seen other 3.party solutions using the same setup.

@lpher
02-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Have a look at this:
3G+ MMI - Tethering Data from a mobile and WAP activation (http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2443.0)
I have also seen other 3.party solutions using the same setup.

thanks... Yeah, this is a similar solution to what ive found aswell... This seems more suitable though :)

@lpher
02-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Can you elaborate ?, I need an iPad holder for the grandson.

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Click-Go-iPad-Mount/dp/B005680EVQ

works like a charm...this particular one will fit ipad 2 and 3.