PDA

View Full Version : Dension Gateway 500 vs Audi Music Interface

smithra
18-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Does anyone have first hand experience of both products, specifically around connecting an IPOD.

From what I can tell, the Dension, while having all of the leads included, controls the IPOD by making it emulate the CD Changer :mad:. However the AMI actually will display a screen similar to the standard IPOD menu structure (Playlist, Artist etc). :D

I have an 57 plate A6 with MMI high, and need to make a decision which one to use. The dealer is telling me that I can have the Dension one now, however I will have to wait for the AMI as there are issues obtaining them from Audi.

jc4stuff
19-09-2007, 06:04 PM
As they (Audi UK as the local dealer is hopeless) have been promising that they will have a retro fit AMI since last Nov and still don't, I'm just girding my loins to spend £399 on a gitted Gateway 500.

when have they said they can supply it, and how much is it fitted?

jchibnall
17-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I cant answer your original question on vrs but I can tell you after months of waiting for Audi to release the kit to be retro fitted. I gave up. My friend who is an Audi Tech last week-end fitted the Dension to my car.

Once I got past the mmi displaying CD 1 CD 2 e.g CD1 Artist next to the Apple menu commands. I now think it's great. I can see all my playlists, search by artist and album and also get the all the track names displayed on the main mmi screen and the small one above the streering wheel.

Coupled with this the Dension also provides out of the box connections via phono sockers to play back any connected device and also memory stick playpack of mp3's. It even displays the track names from this on the MMi

It also supports bluetooth, which to be honest I have not even tried yet! so that you can send A2DP sound from your mobile device.

My friend the Tech at a Audi Dealership says they still don't have a release date for the Audi retro fit. I bought my car in June this year and was told July release. We still don't have one.

The sound quality is very good.

Anyway I know it does not compare the two as you asked but I thought I would share my thoughts with you after install

RickB
19-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Just got the Dension 500 fitted by my local Audi dealership today. iPod lands on Monday next week!!

Tested it with a USB memory stick of mp3s and it works fine!!

Can't wait for the full ipod.

The total thing cost £399 fitted.

toff
24-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Just got the Dension 500 fitted by my local Audi dealership today. iPod lands on Monday next week!!

Tested it with a USB memory stick of mp3s and it works fine!!

Can't wait for the full ipod.

The total thing cost £399 fitted.

Hi Rick,

What year is your A6 please. Did you go to a dealership in Manchester to get the Dension fitted?

Thanks - Alex.

RickB
24-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi Rick,

What year is your A6 please. Did you go to a dealership in Manchester to get the Dension fitted?

Thanks - Alex.

Hi Alex

Mine's a 55 plate 2005 A6 2.0TDI SE.

I've got my iPod now (Dension only support upto 5th gen at the moment, but there is a firmware update coming out for the current classic range in a few weeks), and I'm pretty impressed.

I got it fitted at Blackburn Audi, by an engineer who covers several dealerships in the NW as an independant Audi only fitter.

The only quibble I have with the fitting is that he fitted the ipod braket onthe top of the glove box, so that when the iPod is in there it covers the glove box light. Other than that it was an hour fitting and he did it while I sat in reception drinking coffee and drooling over the new R8 they had in there.

RickB
25-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Time to confess my sins.............

I have maligned the install engineer!! The blocking of the glovebox light was my doing.

I got my firmware upgraded this moprning and mentioned the light. At which stage he pointed out that I was using the wrong bracket for the iPod and had put it into a gap :Blush2:. Anyway the gap fits my iPos (in it's case) to perfection, so I'm carrying on using it!!

ThrottleS6
11-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi all - my first post.

I've bought an S6 Avant 07 and wondered if the AMI upgrade is available from Audi yet? Audi were recommending Dennison 500 which leads me to believe it's still not available, but looking at this thread it really should be out by now! Perhaps not.

Any views pls?

And if not is Dennison 500 still the best Ipod retro-fit route?

Txs