PDA

View Full Version : Calling any 1.6 tdi owners thinking of remapping an honest review

Ovy
15-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi all my 1.6tdi is an a3 s line convertible so it was the 105bhp (well it was 104bhp on the dyno lol) but also the heaviest in the range so economy ok ( never was going to be as quoted ) but power frustrating mostly having to constantly change down from 3rd to 2nd were as the 2.0tdi would easy pull in 3rd. With this in mind I knew releasing a bit of power (well torque more so ) would be great but then you worry about the effects on engine and more so the weak Vw 5 speed box fitted and the clutch ect... Well I didn't find many decent reviews hence my writing this but decided to go with it ( I will not say who where mapped as most reputable tuners all use very similar generic maps) first note is the semens ecu needs to be removed and altered to be able to read/write on to it, (my car is now just out of its 3 year warranty) so no prob for me but I would not do it while still under warranty. Second note mileage my car was just over 40k when mapped. Third note I recommend having a before and after dyno so as to compare the improvements from stock . So the results well my car stock was 104bhp @ 175ft/lb and once mapped 133bhp @ 202ft/lb but more important much smoother more responsive (quicker throttle) and able to pull the gears mid range without keep having to change down. On the economy side very little change if you use the extra power in a spirited way obviously you use more fuel but if you use the torque to rev less mpg is improved. My mileage is now as I write this 52k so nearly 12k on and no problems what so ever all I would say is if I were to drive like an idiot I might be able to make the clutch slip due to the increased torque but it's a baby diesel not a gti turbo ect .. Last thing I have not put an a performance air filter on or altered the exhaust , dpf or egr ect as I was well advised these are no req and pointless at this power level simply stock and remapped, for me mine now drives as the 1.6 should and is more of an enjoyment to drive. Do I recommend mapping a 1.6tdi YES if it's done properly and professionally stay away from cheap piggy back type devices.

Ovy
15-06-2014, 09:03 AM
well only been back on the forum 2mins and post moved already I would say this post is relative to all 1.6tdi not just audi so why move it seems like a waisted effort now oh well hence why a lot of us don't post much!!!

Sam
16-06-2014, 02:23 PM
well only been back on the forum 2mins and post moved already I would say this post is relative to all 1.6tdi not just audi so why move it seems like a waisted effort now oh well hence why a lot of us don't post much!!!

I've asked the team and it would appear no one has moved your post - where did you originally post this thread?

Who is the "a lot of us" that aren't posting much - please PM me if you wish to keep it off the forum.

Ovy
17-06-2014, 04:16 PM
I've asked the team and it would appear no one has moved your post - where did you originally post this thread?

Who is the "a lot of us" that aren't posting much - please PM me if you wish to keep it off the forum.
Was originally posted in tuning & performance Diesel engines as the 1.6tdi is across the whole vag range!! sorry the "lot of us " quote was me having a rant although I believe there are a lot that read but rarely post and this sort of thing does not help IMO don't worry non of us will loose sleep over it.

Guest 2
17-06-2014, 09:08 PM
I moved your post for a couple of reasons;

The A3 specific section is the section for your particular car, the A3 section would be more active and have more viewers than the Diesel Engine section. Moving your post doesn't stop it from being searched for. An example of this would be "1.6 tdi remapping", because you have used keywords in your text, your thread and title will appear in the search results.

I can move the thread back if you wish but the results of any search will be the same.

Simon@DTUK
17-06-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm quite interested to know who did your remap and why the negativity about the tuning boxes if you have no exposure to them Ovy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam
18-06-2014, 09:34 AM
sorry the "lot of us " quote was me having a rant although I believe there are a lot that read but rarely post and this sort of thing does not help IMO don't worry non of us will loose sleep over it.

I had thought you were part of an underbelly of users that had formed a secret club to talk about things out of the eyes of the rest of the forum but now I know you were just having a rant I won't worry any more - thanks for explaining ;)