PDA

View Full Version : Please Help standard Tow bar removal

kenny2many
14-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Just bought a 2010 s-line avant which has had a towbar fitted from new.

Can anyone advise the best way to about getting it removed? It a more rigid one than the swan neck type ones so suspect its prob original audi kit. Any idea how much a garage will take etc, hoping I dont have to take it to Audi!

If I remove it will a warning light appear on the dash etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kenny

Zenerdiode
15-06-2014, 10:39 AM
If it was a genuine tow bar, it would have a removable hitch and a bit of sponge or plastic to store it in the boot. I suspect it is an aftermarket one. Either way, the bumper cover is fixed to metal bar behind it, so you will need a new bumper bar from Audi.

kenny2many
15-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your help Zenerdiode, It has a protector plate so I don't think its genuine audi. It does have the electrics though, there are bolts underneath the bumber where it goes into the bumper so might be fine to remove it there.

Only thing is removing the electrics, I've read about the car being updated to "know" theres a tow bar. If I unplug the electrics will the car report a fault on the dash etc?

sportq
16-06-2014, 10:20 AM
If it was a factory fit it would like like this (from my B7, but the B8 is very similar): VW AUDI Forum - VWAF (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=605)

I doubt aftermarket towbars do anything to inform the car that there's a towbar fitted. Does your car have rear parking sensors? If so they would possibly be disabled when the towbar electrics are activated so you'd need to check that.

Peter

ziggycol
16-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Factory fit on my B8 S4 is a Westfalia detachable towbar. This is quite well integrated with the car's electronics e.g. when trailor connected: indicators - extra instrument flashing display warning; rear foglights on car don't illuminate

Doc B
16-06-2014, 01:44 PM
If it was a genuine tow bar, it would have a removable hitch. I suspect it is an aftermarket one. Either way, the bumper cover is fixed to metal bar behind it, so you will need a new bumper bar from Audi.

Do a Google search for "PF Jones" - they supply all sorts of aftermarket towbars & on their sight you can download fitting instructions. So take the instructions & work backwards but as zenerdiode said you will need a new reinforcing bar that sits behind the plastic bumper as this is replaced when you fit a towbar (just fitted one to my wife's B6 passat a couple of weeks ago).