PDA

View Full Version : Passat Lower Valence Spraying Problems

gerrymouse1
18-07-2006, 05:45 AM
Hello,

I have recently bought a 2003 Passat Estate. I took the car to a local Spray garage to inquire about getting the nasty black valences on the front and rear bumper sprayed and the below the doors.

However the sprayer said that if he sprayed the lower door valences then it would only be a matter of weeks before I would be back with hime because they would crack or peel. These lowers are made from some sort of flexible rubber/plastic.

Has anyone else came accross this problem and is there anyway to get around it.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry

Sam
18-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Gerry,

It can be done. As I understand it, the sprayer would have to use a some sort of flexi component in the paint to make it adhere without cracking/peeling. Most shops wont carry out the work as they don't want to have to honour some sort of warranty on the work.

A lot of Passat owners have had this work done - have a look through the Showroom section of ClubB5.com for examples and ideas.

Sam

gerrymouse1
18-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks,

Is this flexi component easily available and do you know the name of it.

Regards,

Gerry

Sam
18-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Gerry,

The following link gives you an idea of the processes (and parts) involved.

About Painted Lowers or Valences (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178777)

I'm inclined to say a paint shop worth it's salt will know what product to use, but you can always mention how you "heard" the paint needs to be flexible ;)

gerrymouse1
18-07-2006, 11:17 PM
I was talking to the paint shop today and they confirmed with volkswagen themslves about the flex additive.

They are taking the car on Monday Next week to do the Job. The car is three years old and there is a couple of scuff marks on the valences in various places. So the man doing the job got me a complete set of neww valences from the deal er at cost and is goint o charge me £400 GBP (About 750 Dollars) for the new plastics and for the spray job which he will stand over as long as I have the car.

So its looking good.

Thanks For your pointers. I will throw a couple of photos of the car up hopefully next week somtime.

Regards,

Gerry :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Sam
19-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Sounds like you're on the road to getting it sorted - I'm interested to see the final product so do post some pics once completed.