PDA

View Full Version : advice on tyres please

iluvmyaudi
17-09-2007, 10:37 PM
:confused: hi all, i know that this topic has been discussed on prev threads but I could do with some clarification. I have just purchased an a4 2000/x 1.8t quattro sport with original 225 45 17 wheels. All four tyres are a different brand!!!:mad:
So would like to purchase a brand new set but im undecided as to which to go for. I know that I want a tyre thats a good all rounder in terms of wet/dry performance but also lloks good.

I quite like the v-tread style look (Goodyear F1GSD3s) but i have been told that the Goodyear tyres are not a tyre normally fitted or associated with Audi? I also heard that they are not suitable for quattro's? Is this true?

I visited a local tyre centre and they recommended either Dunlop SP9000, BridgestoneRE050s, Continental Sport Contact 2 or Michelin Pilot Primacys (but expensive)

So can someone please give me some advice on which of the above to go for or another make they could recommend.
thanks.
:biglaugh:

adamss24
18-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Go for the Michelin Primacy or the Dunlop Sports..., the seconds are fitted on my alloys and they do perform OK on my quattro, just a bit noisy at high speed- over 100 Mph !

quattroP
18-09-2007, 11:35 AM
the goodyear F1s are brilliant - i put them on a Leon Cupra (admittedly only FWD) and they transformed it - turn-in was instant & they lasted over 10K including trackdays...

they should be fine on a quattro, BTW, whatever tyres you go for - keep an eye on how the fronts wear. the tracking on my 2.8 V6 quattro is spot on, but the fronts still wear unevenly...

have a look at black circles online - you'll pay much less & i've never had a problem getting a local garage to fit them...

Crasher
18-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Uniroyal Rainsport 1, I have them on all my cars and on my Octavia VRS in 225/45 17.

Jasonz
18-09-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm unsure what tyres to get for my car. Currently I have Pirelli P6000, spec: 225/45 R17 91W

The front tyres now need replacing, and I'm wondering if I should look at another tyre as they're only a few pounds different in price.

I do intend to have all tyres the same, and will probably keep the car until the rear tyres need replacing.

All I really want is a safe, comfortable tyre that lasts as long as possible. I'm not really fussed if it's the best handling one or not, I don't usually drive to the limit anyway.

Do you think I should go for the p6000 or upgrade to another tyre?

P.s. where's the cheapest near Portsmouth/Alton area? ;)

Crasher
18-09-2007, 04:58 PM
If money isn't an issue and you want long lasting tyres then Michelin.

docurley
18-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I run Nankang's due to price but I have to say they are a great tyre and are owned by another bigger company.

Oh and they look good to on the car.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/docurley/Audi%20Project/5931775b.jpg

iluvmyaudi
19-09-2007, 12:15 AM
hi, many thanks 4 the replies. I had a feeling that this would be the case in terms of a mixed response. It seems that Michelins are the best overall, but i am not sure if i can justify paying the extra money for them. I did spot some Dunlop Sport Maxx today on an Audi and they looked really nice. I asked a local tyre place for a qoute which came in at £330 all in fitted, which i thought was a good price? however the review does say that the road noise is a problem with these tyres...:confused:

hmmm....what should I do? should I go for the continental sport contacts instead or the p6000s?

please help?

thanks.

ronmcintosh
19-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi there.

I drive about 70K a year with work and have done for the last 8 years so have seen off a few tyres in that time. Everbody will have a personal favourite based on their own driving style and the car. For my 2 penneth.

Michelin pilots: very good grip wet and dry but usually fairly pricey they last as well
Michelin exalto: amazing grip but will wear out quickly, i have seen front sets go in under 8k in a big motor (that was mainly motorway miles)
Goodyear NCT: stunning grip wet and dry and amazing length of wear, most high mileage repmobiles will be on goodyears for this reason and decent price
Continental Prem contact: maybe not the trendiest of names but good grip and last well
Dunlop SP sport: same as above
Avon ZV3 : In the wet It will feel like someone is greasing the road in front of you...........don't do it !
Bridgestone Potenza: almost gravity defying levels of grip wet and dry. I have heard people say they wear quickly but i never really found them any worse than most
Barum: Bit of a wild card here they are made by continental and are considered a budget brand. I had a full set put on a Volvo 3 or 4 years back as that was all that was available, I found them to be grippy and they lasted well

I had a look at mytyres and there are some good deals:

If it was my money Goodyear NCT for length of life and grip(and that from someone who always used to consider michelins the best)
If you are not doing a big mileage i might be tempted by the bridgestones

Ron

RichieVWV6
19-09-2007, 12:26 AM
hi, many thanks 4 the replies. I had a feeling that this would be the case in terms of a mixed response. It seems that Michelins are the best overall, but i am not sure if i can justify paying the extra money for them. I did spot some Dunlop Sport Maxx today on an Audi and they looked really nice. I asked a local tyre place for a qoute which came in at £330 all in fitted, which i thought was a good price? however the review does say that the road noise is a problem with these tyres...:confused:

hmmm....what should I do? should I go for the continental sport contacts instead or the p6000s?

please help?

thanks.

The P6000s will last longer than the Contis. The Conti is a far superior tyre (better grip) but will wear out faster.

At the end of the day its your life and that of other car drivers so that should be justification enough for paying extra for the Michelins...:D

But seriously as I always say on here buy the best tyre that you can afford, its the only thing that keeps you in contact with the road so dont skimp on it.

And as always click on the Etyres banner that you see at the top of the screen sometimes and get your extra 5% off the already low prices!

Regards

Richard

iluvmyaudi
19-09-2007, 12:50 AM
ron & richard, many thanks for the advice. i will go back 2morrw morning to the tyre place and see what the diff is on the michelins and the bridgestones. goodyear nct was not mentioned in my discussions with the tyre centre (i think its because that model is not available in the size i want - 2254517.

so basically the dunlop sport maxx or conti's are about the same just personal taste?

:biglaugh: