PDA

View Full Version : Problems Changing Rear Brake Pads

DiverDave
17-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi, last weekend i decided to change my rear brake pads. I managed to un-bolt the caliper ok, but found it difficult to remove the caliper from the disc, but it went with a bit of gentle persuasion!

My problem occured when trying to push the piston back into the caliper. I opened the brake reservoir and read my trusty Haynes, which told me that you have to screw the piston in clockwise, which i did for a good 10 minutes but it didnt move at all. I tried everything but it wouldn't budge!! Do i need to use a piston windback tool or am i forgetting something??

Any advice would be appreciated!!

t4driver
17-07-2006, 08:24 PM
You need a wind back tool. But you go out and spend make sure there is not a small screew behind the piston housing that you can remove to show a small allen screw that can be wound back ( it stops the piston creaping back )
T

nickasaki
17-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Yes you do need a special tool but they dont cost alot of money ( about £10-£15) form your local car care store and you can also use the same tool on alot of other car's as well, so you could earn back the cost quickly !

DiverDave
18-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Cheers for your advice guys! Ive found a windback tool on ebay, but will try and make one first, should be fun!

Will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again,
Dave :beerchug:

DiverDave
06-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Visited Halfords, dare i admit it, and bought a piston windback tool for £20, and it worked like a dream. I did find the tool a bit difficult to get behind the one piston as it had come out so far, but i managed to do both sides in one and a half hours which isn't bad for a novice like me!

Thought i may have to adjust the handbrake, but no, started the engine, pulled the handbrake on and off a number of times and hey presto, all was well. If anyone attempts this job, remember to keep an eye on your brake fluid, i had to syringe quite a bit out to stop it from overflowing.

Thanks for the advice guys,

Dave. :beerchug:

jchrisj@ntlworld.com
11-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi, Read the thread when my rear wheels were stripped down and couldnt get the calliper piston to go in so couldnt get new pads in. Yup, up sh*t creek without a paddle.
Why do i always decide to do these jobs on a sunday when the auto shops are closed.
Any way....... my solution, and its free, you dont need a piston windback tool, I'm from lancashire and dont spend money lightly!

Any way, remove caliper and old pads, spray WD40 (or similar) around the base of the rubber boot and have a coffee while it does it's job, then have a friend with a large spanner lever the piston back while you(using a pair of "dogs" or "footprints") turn the piston in a CLOCKWISE direction. DO NOT TURN ANTI CLOCKWISE as the piston will unscrew from its base and come out..... big problems.

using this tecnique it took me 10 minutes to do the second rear wheel, all though it took 3 hours on the first wheel trying different ways.....DOH!!!!!

any way job done, loads of coffee later. YEHAHANGDANGDOODY:biglaugh:

seraph
11-02-2007, 10:52 PM
you dont actually need a wind back tool - but only if youre very competent at this type of job

it can be done alone pump pliers and a breaker bar, tho its hard work.

DiverDave
12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info Seraph, but this job was completed months ago! I find it hard to believe that this work could be done easily without the use of a wind back tool.

Me and my brother tried using all sorts of tools, pliers and crowbars etc, and it didn't move a millimeter let alone an inch. I would strongly advise people to preferably hire (which many small motor factors do) or purchase a wind back tool if undertaking this task, but thats just my opinion.