PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for economical garage / homer in glasgow area ? ongoing issues!

FSI AWA
03-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Hello All

firstly big thanks to all forum contributors - i bought a 2003 A4 2.0 FSI ( code AWA ) with seemingly genuine 95,000 miles a few months back which has been plagued with minor? ( so far! ) faults and thanks to this forum i've save myself a huge amount of head-ache / expense.

so far fixed/ learned:-

1. learned about vag-com / vcds and got myself a cheapo cable and VCDS lite
2. fixed air leak in main air intake hose next to MAF sensor. ( but VCDS still showing indicating leaks by unstable pressure reading, and occasional fault code )
3. replaced old knackered MAF sensor, made a difference.
4. replaced cam position and crank pulse sensors to fix random conking out & starting issues - worked a charm. though worrying metal sludge deposit on cam position sensor - from fuel pump cam follower maybe?
5. Replaced temp sender to fix faulty temp gauge.
6. Oil & filters changed so recent post on how to reset service interval will come in very handy.

HOWEVER - the thing still runs a bit **** - misfiring etc, lack of power, rough idle, ( im thinking mainly due to vac leaks)
& have now tracked this down to a cracked breather hose ( came apart in my hand!) , which of course runs in under the intake manifold and is absolutely inaccessible without removing intake mani and injectors etc. which i would be out-of-my-depth DIY-ing. nor can i track down the correct breather hose parts for this engine. i've done a bawbag repair on the accessible end of it using radiator hose and jubilee clips for the timebeing but the whole pipe is perished and needs replaced thus a degree of dismantling required.

DOES anyone have any suggestions on someone who would be able to give a reasonable price to undertake this work ?

Where is the PCV valve on this engine? is it under the rocker cover?, or hidden somewhere under the intake mani and FSI gubbins ?

Also appears to have a timing issue - rough idle, rattle on start, ignition timing at idle all over the place when read using VCDS.
so worries about cam chain / tensioner etc after reading various forum horror stories !. but priority is to get vac leaks fixed first to see if that has any impact.

Any local info for a 'man who can' particularly welcome
Thanks again for all the invaluable information - a real fountain of knowledge.

cheers

Stuart

FSI AWA
30-06-2014, 10:54 AM
so... ive sorted all the bits that i'm capable of. car running better
but still definitely the cam chain tensioner at fault -

the start rattle is really worrying me about impending failure, and having a pile of scrap on my hands.

does anybody know how much it costs to have the repair done - ballpark ?

thanks all

Scott K
09-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Call Glasgow Audi or a4audi and ask for a price.

FSI AWA
15-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Call Glasgow Audi or a4audi and ask for a price.

thanks Scott - i spoke to A for Audi a while back and they were extremely helpful and objective about it, but reckoned i should be prepared for a bill of minimum £800+VAT. i dont imagine glasgow audi would be any less. i cant justify or afford that outlay unfortunately.

by my reckoning the parts can be had for about £250 but a total nightmare to fit due to extremely tight access.
easier in transverse engine situation as in audi A3 .but this vehicle the cam chain etc is pretty much hard against the firewall.

Had the car for a longer drive than usual - 300 miles - and a good blast seems to have improved matters slightly - its still there but not quite so bad. maybe a calm before the storm!

cheers
stuart

Scott K
15-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi Stuart, the only other ones I have used down there is Autohaus in Edinburgh but could easily cost the same amount. They were really good but it was a few years ago.

FSI AWA
16-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Hi Stuart, the only other ones I have used down there is Autohaus in Edinburgh but could easily cost the same amount. They were really good but it was a few years ago.

aye, i dont doubt the quality of the work but unfortunately due to cost its not an option.
unless my ticket comes in !

cheers