PDA

View Full Version : Unlockable boot

steve1980
17-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi, I've just bought myself a nice W-reg Passat, everything was going great with it until now. It seems that no matter what I do I cant lock the boot anymore. The central locking doesnt activate it and even when I put the key in and try to manually lock it it doesnt work.

Has anyone else had this kinda problem? Its worrying me a bit not being able to secure the car anymore.

Steve

rich330
21-07-2006, 03:38 PM
same thing has happened to me on my W reg passat this week!! :S don't understand it

Rich

steve1980
21-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I called up VW to try and get it sorted, they reckoned it was just the lock barrel, but they wanted it in for an hour just to take a look, then if it was the lock barrel it'd take 1.5 hours to replace. The part only costs £15, but the labour would have been closer to £200!

At least my alarm still works, so if anyone does try to open the boot it makes a loud noise.

Strange thing is that putting the key in and turning it opens all the windows, or closes all the windows. So that makes me think that the barrel isnt broken.

Anyone got any ideas?

Steve

rich330
21-07-2006, 03:51 PM
got exactly that response from my car when using the Key in the boot this morning!! windows go up and down...but nothing else happens. surely someone must have some idea of whats happened??

Rich

Sam
21-07-2006, 05:43 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1602

:biglaugh:

Wookie
26-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Lock drive motor seized.

Hi guys,

My apologies for not getting to this sooner. I own an older Passat estate, but I believe this lock problem is all too common on Passats in general.

I suffered (not at all in silence!) the common problem of the rear washer leak on the estate. this in turn soaked the tailgate central locking mechanism causing it to malfunction.

For what it is worth here is the solution to the problem on mine, I don't say it will be the answer to your problem, you will have to check it out for yourself.

Remove the trim/boot linings or whatever to allow access to the lock mechanism. First check for power at the plug. No power - check fuses, wiring etc.
Clean terminals on both halves of the plug. Try again. Convinced everything is OK up as far as the lock mechanism? Try this:

Switching on the central locking operates a small electric motor on the locking mechanism. This drives a shaft in and out which in turn moves a lever on a quadrant which locks the release button. Things may be a little different on the saloon but I'm willing to bet it is the same principle.

The drive motor is housed in a small white plastic box easily recognised by the wiring entering it. Disconnect the wiring plug and remove the box.

Now comes the fun bit, the lid of the box is held together by snap connectors which are right little perishers (this is a clean site) to undo. A none too dainty way is to force a very thin screwdriver into the gap between the two halves adjacent to one of the tabs, depress the tab and hope it begins to open up. work your way around all the tabs in turn until the lid comes off. You may wish grow another pair of hands to make this task easier, or elicit the help of the wife/girlfriend - just don't tell 'em that I stabbed myself with the screwdriver when I was doing it!

Once open, the motor is revealed, see if the motor will turn by hand, if it is at all suspect try a bit of WD40 or similar. If this appears to work connect the plug and test. There is no need to put the lid back on, but remember to ensure there are no bits that can come flying off. If you are not convinced of this, do the test in a carrier bag. Always ensuring you have had a good look to be sure you know where all the bits went in the first place. If all is OK reassemble.

If not. Assuming the motor still does not work and you are certain the electrics are OK, you can try the following, it's drastic, but if you are sure it is the motor you have nothing to lose. This worked for me, I take no responsiblity for your motor.

With a pair of snipe nose pliers pull the two electric connectors from the plug housing and motor, noting which way round they go. They do not come out easily, in fact they can be a right pig. These are, apparently, a push fit in the motor housing. Once removed you should be able to pry the motor from the housing. Do what it takes to un-seize it and refit. Ensure also that the actuator shaft is free and that this is not the cause of the problem. Clean the electrical connectors carefully, but try not to remove any metal that might make them a slack fit. I used a Dremel, it worked a treat. If you still can't make it work and you are convinced it is the motor assy at fault - replace it.

Of course if you think about it I DID make a blood sacrifice before mine worked........

Good luck.

steve1980
26-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I've just had a little play around with it all and managed to fix it.

I couldnt manage to get the whole locking unit off, but after identifying the white box as the motor I managed to push the motor piston back into the motor (with the help of a hammer and screw driver).:biglaugh:

After mvoing it back and forth a few times to make sure it was working I coated it all it WD40 and it seems to work just like it used to.

Cheers for the help, much appreciated!!!!!!

Steve

rich330
26-07-2006, 02:46 PM
ohh might have a go at mine tonight then and see if its the same problem!! fingers crossed for me guys!!

rich330
01-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Ok tried it and it was exactly as described above! :) oiled the little piston and then managed to push it back in with a little help from a small hammer..and now it seems fine

davegwynn
21-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Sorry I didn't get to this forum earlier - had exactly the same trouble with the tailgate lock on my W-reg 1.8T estate - turned out it was the actuator (the aforementioned white cylinder) - £30 or so to replace, now works fine. Think this must be a rather common problem. Only problem was that the actuator that came from the dealer didn't include the slide on clip which allows you to connect the cylinder to the lock mechanism - so don't throw the old one away!