PDA

View Full Version : MK3 Steering noise...Help!

tot
17-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I have MK3 Golf and when i turn steering wheel to extreme there is a juddering from the wheel. Any ideas? Pump? If so is it easy to replace?
Thanks, Tot

mr brightside
25-09-2007, 07:52 PM
when you turn full lock and the rack reaches it's full stretch it puts severe load on the pump, the pump on my audi whirrs at this point so i back the wheel off half an inch to release the load. i've heard this sort of overloading of the pump can damage the vanes and lead to unusual characteristics, if your system is leak free i'd try backing the wheel off that half inch or so and see of it stops.

Col
25-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Could be a dicky pressure relief valve on the rack.

Does it do it on both locks ?

As above, I'd avoid going to full lock and live with it, it may last for ages !

Pete Taylor
26-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Your power steering belt is cream crackered, does it do it more in the rain? Another cause is the undertray missing which allows water to get onto the belt, this will make it slip even with a new belt. If it judders (slips) when dry then it's definately the new belt, only a few quid for a replacement. Check your power steering fluid level too, if it's low top it up. It may need bleeding. To do this, take the green cap off the reservoir, start the engine and steer lock to lock a few times

zedmeister
28-09-2007, 03:39 PM
My MK3's steering is also juddering and grabbing at full lock - it only does it when stationary or at slow parking speeds. When driving the power steering feels fine but is heavy at slow speeds. Someone suggested that the power steering pump is going. Is that true or can it be the belt? If its the belt, which one is it? Thanks!

Pete Taylor
28-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I'd change the belt first as it's only a few quid for one. Look down the engine bay and it should be the thinnest belt right at the bottom of the bay. Check the PAS fluid too, take the green cap off and wip the dipstick with white tissue and see what colour it is. It should be bright red, if it's murky it needs draining and replacing.
Check these first though as a reconditioned pump will set you back about £130

zedmeister
28-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks Pete. Any tips on changing the belt? Any other belts that should be changed while I'm there? I'm an engineer but not really worked on cars much - serviced the MK3 and repaired the door barrel on it, fitted sat nav on my other car so not scared to do anything, just don't have the experience! Any help and advise howerver small is much appreciated!

Pete Taylor
28-09-2007, 04:16 PM
This is what i'd recommend..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-golf-haynes-manual-3097_W0QQitemZ140161453121QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18439 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then if anything else goes wrong then it's a fairly good guide

zedmeister
30-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I have ordered a haynes manual off ebay as suggested - thanks. Had a look at the pas fluid - its not red but an ordinary oil coloured clear to light brown - seems pretty clear though. Seems more like the belt is slipping as with revs the problem goes away. Should I tighten or replace?

Pete Taylor
01-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I'd replace it mate, only a few quid. If you tighten a worn belt and it breaks it won't be much fun to drive!

zedmeister
01-10-2007, 11:49 AM
What do you reckon on the fluid? Does it need changing and is it easy to change?

eribar
07-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd replace it mate, only a few quid. If you tighten a worn belt and it breaks it won't be much fun to drive!
Pete, I have attempted to change the belt on my mark 3 but can't get the old one off, I have loosened the adjusting bolt (the one that looks like a gear) but assume I also need to loosen the bolt the pump pivots on, is that right? If so it is very hard to shift. I dont want to put too much pressure on if its the wrong bolt?

zedmeister
07-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Pete, I have attempted to change the belt on my mark 3 but can't get the old one off, I have loosened the adjusting bolt (the one that looks like a gear) but assume I also need to loosen the bolt the pump pivots on, is that right? If so it is very hard to shift. I dont want to put too much pressure on if its the wrong bolt?
Haynes manual reckons you have to loosen the bolt that the pump pivots on, though I haven't tried it yet. Hope that helps.