PDA

View Full Version : Problems with DAB radio reception. RCD 310

Archfluke
25-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Hi there,

I've got 2012 Passat with the RCD 310 radio installed. Been having problems increasingly frequently with the DAB radio and wondering if someone who knows more than me about cars can shed some light.

The radio keeps cutting out and often will not work at all. It's more than just the usual DAB reception dropping out. It'll cut out when someone slams a door, or I hit a bump in the road. Often that'll be it then, until I've turned the car off completely. Then it might work properly for a day or so, dropping out only in places where I know the signal isn't great.

Have had the car in once to have it looked at and the dealer could find no fault. I guess it's probably a loose connection - I've taken the head unit out and it all looks ok there. I've had as good a look as I can at what I guess is the aerial, in the rear window, and that looks ok too. I have zero faith in the place I bought the car to do more than plug the car in and run a diagnostic so am looking for specific suggestions I can throw at the mechanics, or for a solution I could try myself.

Any advice gratefully accepted. I've put the radio into test mode, and when it's not working it says Q=mute and there is no signal at all.

Guest 2
25-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Many miles are on the car? If below 60,000 it's still under warranty as it's not 3yrs old yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bakili
25-05-2014, 06:32 PM
I have 2011 passat with factory fitted RCD310 dab and i have similar issues. Reception is awful, only good on motorway.
I had cheap aftermarket windscreen antenna on my B6 and reception was much better.
Planning upgrade unit to RCD 510 hopefully reception might improve

Sent from my iPhone

Archfluke
25-05-2014, 06:36 PM
It's well within warranty. Only 20k on the clock. Just know from experience with the dealership that unless I go in with a wee bit of knowledge about the problem they'll do the absolute minimum in checking it. As it's a sporadic issue, sod's law dictates that when I drop it off to be looked at it'll be working just fine.

db123
04-06-2014, 10:15 PM
It's well within warranty. Only 20k on the clock. Just know from experience with the dealership that unless I go in with a wee bit of knowledge about the problem they'll do the absolute minimum in checking it. As it's a sporadic issue, sod's law dictates that when I drop it off to be looked at it'll be working just fine.

Got the same problem on mine started just before warranty ran out, dealer did swap the head unit made no difference. dealer could never find fault, I got sick of pestering them. I changed the aerial amplifier still the same, aerial ok and is easy to check as you can visually see any breaks with it being a bit of copper stuck to the glass, on estates it is on the offside rear side window.

Conclusion is intermittent fault with aerial cable, never got around to replacing it.