PDA

View Full Version : CD stupid question

alcot33uk
17-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Please forgive a newbie question thats probably been repeated and repeated ad infinitum.

Just bought a 98R 1.9TDi and amazingly pleased with it, but there is only a cassette in it. I would like to buy a VW CD player from Ebay? and put it in the dash. I have climate control and cannot for the life of me see how I put thr ruddy thing in, any pointers? photos?

Many thanks, please remember I am ginger...

AndyM
17-09-2007, 11:22 PM
If you're wanting to keep the cassette player and add an in-dash single or 6 disc CD player, you may need a new centre console if you've got the earlier version with the large storage slot just above the pop-out cupholders. My 2003 Passat has the tape deck at the top, a 6 disc CD player beneath that, and the heater controls at the bottom, with no storage space.

If you plan on replacing the cassette player for a CD player (genuine or aftermarket), get yourself a set of proper audio removal keys from VW (about £7) which pop into the two vertical slots either side of the tuning buttons (the ones with the left and right arrows on them). The wiring is a fairly standard ISO connection ie two 8 pin wiring blocks, one for power and the other for the speakers. Most audio manufacturers use this type of connection nowadays so most units are 'plug and play'.

matkavs
18-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hijack.

I have similar situation. Got tape deck with 6 cd changer underneath in my passat. If I want to remove the tape deck (I havent owned a tape in 10 years!) is there a certain stereo system I need to allow me to carry on using the built in 6 cd changer? Will it just plug into a new head unit?

Thanks

yaktrebor
18-09-2007, 10:54 PM
98' model Passats had there CD multi changers in the boot.
I know I had one fitted, at great expense, to mine when I bought it new in 98'.
I removed the changer (and cable) when I recently sold the car.
It will eventually go on ebay, unless someone on here wants it.
It is the compatable Panasonic version, not a VW labled one.

Froggy
19-09-2007, 09:57 AM
You can buy any CD Changer controlling Blaupunkt head unit and use Blaupunkt adapter part number 7607 596 550, and it will then talk to the original CD Changer.

matkavs
19-09-2007, 10:36 AM
You can buy any CD Changer controlling Blaupunkt head unit and use Blaupunkt adapter part number 7607 596 550, and it will then talk to the original CD Changer.

Thanks mate. Thats the info I have been looking for.

Now to search for a new stereo....... lol :beerchug:

Where can I find this part? Will Halfords stock it?

Froggy
21-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Will Halfords stock it?

Not on the shelf, but could probably order you one. If not http://www.bluespot.co.uk (http://www.bluespot.co.uk/) will get you one.

TheMadhatter
22-09-2007, 09:04 AM
The blaupunkt head units are pretty good, if not as fashionable as over makes. I have a Queens MP56 with a 40Gb hard drive in the glove box, kind of makes the CD changer redundant, also the adapter is £55 to fit the changer from bluespot. To be honest once you start using an Mp3 Head unit you won't miss the CD changer.