PDA

View Full Version : 55 2.0 tdi juddering issue

Romark2001
17-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice really on an issue that has started in the last week or so with my 55 2.0 tdi.
Seems to be a problem in the morning whereby for the first 15 miles or so if I put my foot down e.g. joining a motorway or overtaking the car will judder like it wants to stall. After the first 15 everything seems to be fine. Car has now done about 55,000 miles.
I haven't had any other engine problems apart from last year when it went into the "get home" mode at a remote part of the Scottish highlands (an interesting experience) and had a software update.
Any ideas?

Romark2001
18-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Further to the above I experimented a bit on the commute to work last night and this morning and it does not seem limited to time of day or length of time running......problem seems to occur when the rpm exceeds 3000. Feels a bit like the fuel flow isn't what it should be possibly clutch?

thatch
18-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a fault with the air mass flow meter.

Romark2001
19-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for your reply Thatch. Got it booked in to be looked at!!

Slimbarry
19-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Had the same today! Only got to the point were it wouldn't re start. Have had it towed to VW tonight. RAC man thought it could be something blocking the exhaust.... Not so sure myself.

Will report back when VW have had a look.

a8 tech
19-09-2007, 09:07 PM
air mass faults are pretty few and far between on 2.0 tdi engine but egr valve is common and the flap can break away causing this symptom.

Romark2001
21-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Well God bless it it has made it through the week! On the commute home last night the fault did not occur but this morning my joining the motorway must have looked like a sack of spuds being rolled down a cobble street.
Will post what VW say tomorrow just in case there are others with similar symptoms in the future.

Romark2001
24-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Well car was in on Friday and the verdict is......
Blocked fuel filter (apparently VW don't change the filter on normal service and due to decrease in fuel quality this is causing a problem in a lot of cases)
Having changed this they found that the fuel pump wasn't 100% so this was also changed. Now it runs as sweet as the day I got it.
Thanks to all those that replied to my initial post.:beerchug:

Quatrelle
24-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Read all this with interest, and it's worth bearing in mind. Thanks for the follow-up!

Slimbarry
26-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Picked mine up this afternoon after leaving it a week with the ******* :zx11:. Needed a new fuel pump.

Romark2001
27-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Blimey, that is a long time for them to be holding onto it!! I guess I was lucky, my local dealer dealt with it very quickly, even to the point of coming out for a drive so we could "agree" on the symptoms. The increase in performance is very noticable.

Slimbarry
27-09-2007, 08:14 PM
The increase in power on mine was also a lot more noticeable once I got it back. :biglaugh:

I suppose it was not getting the full amount of fuel - maybe it has been treated badly on a diet of mucky supermarket diesel in the first half of it's life, knackering the pump.

Perry
28-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Do you think it may be worth us B6 owners putting Diesel treatment in the tank once a month?

carl s
28-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Just FYI, Which have reported the Passat in their annual survey as being a great car let down by too many faults reported on the diesel models.

So it seems you're not alone...

Quatrelle
28-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Do you think it may be worth us B6 owners putting Diesel treatment in the tank once a month?This sort of ties in with another thread here -

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=16076

As I said on there, my VW dealer has a diesel additive on sale in the workshop reception area, so I suppose that counts as some sort of recommendation/approval. I really must get round to checking the make.

I wonder if part of the problem lies in the amount of power a modern diesel generates, to the extent that it is difficult to make it work really hard (which is what a diesel thrives on) without breaking the law.