PDA

View Full Version : Question Golf tdi ALH engine... Engine knocking noise. Help wanted

Onionss74
23-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Hi all my friends 2001 golf tdi ALH 90hp has a bad knocking noise sounds like a Transit.

on tick over all sounds good but if you give it a quick tap on accelerator it make a loud knocking sound like it's coming from back of engine around the manifold area, if you slow accelerate nothing sounds normal, if you push the clutch in and tap the accelerator the knocking is even louder.
ive checked cam area ect. All looks good.
no exhaust leaks

cant seem to work it out right now. Tomorrow I'm having sump off to check bottom end areas as starting to think big ends or small end bearings going, or maybe an injector knock not to sure.
any help will be considered.

thanks Paul.

micheal balbrig
23-05-2014, 09:34 PM
How or when did noise develop? Could it have run low on oil at any time?
I had a knock in audi 80 tdi and it turned out to be a faulty c.o.i. valve in fuel pump.
May be a bit soon to remove sump before further investigations are carried out. i.e. engine timing and a scan to see if any faults show.

zollaf
23-05-2014, 09:35 PM
clutch in and the knock is louder, sounds like the clutch is fubbared.

Crasher
24-05-2014, 01:44 PM
It still sounds like a failed cam follower to me even though you have inspected it. It is not so common on the VEP engines but without removing the cam you cannot see the damage.

Onionss74
25-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Ive since found out the bottom of the sump was hit on a some bricks on grass, which observing the sump has a dent in it. So starting to think maybe it's not picking enough oil due to the dent closing the gap between the sump base and the oil pick up point.

micheal balbrig
25-05-2014, 10:05 AM
That makes a decision to either check oil pressure or repair/replace sump, is it aluminium or steel.
Maybe ask your friend if the noise and the low ground incident happened at same time.
If so, then it has to be sump removal in case the crank is fouling on something.

Onionss74
25-05-2014, 03:26 PM
That makes a decision to either check oil pressure or repair/replace sump, is it aluminium or steel.
Maybe ask your friend if the noise and the low ground incident happened at same time.
If so, then it has to be sump removal in case the crank is fouling on something.

Apparently just after. So sump off and inspection time.

aluminium sump dent right next to sensor.

think oil pick up is roughly in this area so it might have closed to gap causing a problem with pick up.

Crasher
25-05-2014, 08:29 PM
To close the gap it would have split the ally.