PDA

View Full Version : Tech Pack navigation - speed to initialise

juniperz
23-05-2014, 03:55 PM
A friend has just got a new Sportback and she paid for the top SatNav. She complains that she has to wait ages for the system to initialise before she can enter a new address or even choose home. I now have a current shape Octavia with its top spec Nav (Columbus) and would have expected the Nav to be the same (Golf/A3/Octavia/Leon being the same under the skin), but it is completely different, principally because mine is touchscreen. Does anyone else think the A3 Nav is slow? I can start the Octavia and operate it within seconds.

I am surprised how different control of Car settings etc is in the A3 vs. Octavia, but that's another story.

juniperz
03-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Wow - a week and a half later, and nobody here uses Satnav in their A3?

james_tiger_woo
03-06-2014, 03:02 PM
I use mine a fair bit - not necessarily for navigating, but often for an ETA. Initialisation time for Nav and the whole MMI is a real bugbear of mine as it can be up to 20 seconds before it catches up. There's no pattern, it can be instant or it can be 20 seconds.

On occasion it has been minutes with the whole system just sitting there, silent, doing bugger all - no radio, nav, music, nothing.

juniperz
04-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks for that - sounds as though my friend is not alone then. As you say, sometimes instant, sometimes many many seconds - and it can be radio / SD as well, not just Sat Nav. Of course the multiple seconds is when you are somewhere unfamiliar and want to to drive off promptly using Nav...

cowcatcher
07-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Standard nav is slow to kick in too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

juniperz
07-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Not trying to start an Audi / Skoda war, but I wonder why I don't have such problems in my 2013 Octavia. You would think the whole point of the MQB platform across Golf, Leon, A3 and Octavia, would be the sharing of significant components like the nav/media unit.