PDA

View Full Version : Help with water loss please

Simon@DTUK
21-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

I have a gttdi 115 2000 it's covered 143k and runs sweet as a nut.

I replaced the head gasket. Water pump. Timing belt ( full kit ) about this te last year just as a precaution as I bought the car without a history ( better safe than sorry )

Just recently it has started to lose a bit water from the header tank and I can't figure out where it's going. It's not mixing with the oil, there ain't no sign of it in header tank, my carpets are dry beside the heater matrix and when pressure tested at running temp upto 1.9 bar it's fine as we'll !

It's really starting to do my head on now!

Am I missing something obvious? Or is there something I don't know or haven't checked that needs checking?

Any ideas or thoughts qould be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, I don't have any puddles of water under the car when parked up.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zollaf
21-05-2014, 09:35 PM
try a new cap.

Simon@DTUK
21-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Really?

zollaf
21-05-2014, 09:39 PM
yeah

Simon@DTUK
21-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Cheers zollaf al give it a try

zollaf
21-05-2014, 09:57 PM
its your cheapest option and the only part of the cooling system you havn't checked yet. if the cap is weak then water vapour can escape from it when hot or it won't keep the pressure in and thus allows the coolant to boil and escape. if the cap proves to be not faulty, then its likely to get expensive as it could be a cracked head.

Simon@DTUK
21-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Yeah I figured that but also figured the cap was fine due to the pressure test? What a pressure are the caps rated at, do you know?

zollaf
21-05-2014, 10:09 PM
normally 10 -15 psi. did you pressure test the cap then as normally you don't, the cap is removed to test the system and not all testers have the adaptors to test the caps.

Simon@DTUK
21-05-2014, 10:12 PM
I didn't mate just wasn't sure what they were rated at tbh. If the head was cracked would that not show on the test?

zollaf
21-05-2014, 10:14 PM
cracks in heads can be really hard to trace. when cold the crack can close up and not actually be a crack, only showing itself when the engine is hot. a porous head can also be like this.

Simon@DTUK
21-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Yeah I had a cracked head on my old s2 cost me a fortune to sort out, only coz I ended up puttin a gt3071 on there while it was off and ended up runnin full rs2 spec in the end! I won't ever get carried away like that again haha