PDA

View Full Version : 95 Passat Slightly less common starting problem

cruddler
17-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Ive had a read through this and a few other forums to try and find answers but havent come across anyone with this exact problem.
As is the case with just about every other 95 Passat owner we have had a fare share of electrical problems including the wipers and fans stopping working and we currently have the ABS light on permanently. When it became an issue last time my local garage suggested that we would probably need the entire fuse board replacing but they were happy to try a temporary fix for a while as it didnt seem worth the expense and it has been problem free for nearly a year..I can live with ABS light.

Anyway, its also always had issues with being started but in the last few days theyve gone from being occasional to constant. When you turn the key, the engine fires and revs intially with your foot on the accelerator but then its as if the accelerator no longer exists and the revs drop and the engine dies. After many many attempts, some jiggling of the keys in the ignition, a tirade of abuse and the odd bout of violence it does eventually start in cloud of foul smelling smoke.

The car is old and has done 180000 but apart from these problems, she runs perfectly and at the last service it was suggested that the engine was still in tremendous nick so it would be gutting to be beaten by this.
Any help would be appreciated

Andy

cruddler
08-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Im guessing no one has any idea then? :(

scotty33
12-10-2007, 10:46 PM
One possibility I can think of is a duff ignition switch? Try seperating the switch from the key barrel then use a screwdriver to operate the switch, if it starts ok, the slot is probably worn

oldboy
18-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I have a similar starting problem with our 16v ABF, sometimes it starts then idles very slowly and wont accelerate. Its as if the throttle gets disconnected.
I thought it could be the throttle position sensor (throttle valve potentiometer), I would try changing this but the Haynes manual says it must then be "matched " electronically to the ECU - refer to a VAG dealer. Does anybody know how to do this, I cant afford VAG dealers!

buz1
20-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Ive had a read through this and a few other forums to try and find answers but havent come across anyone with this exact problem.
As is the case with just about every other 95 Passat owner we have had a fare share of electrical problems including the wipers and fans stopping working and we currently have the ABS light on permanently. When it became an issue last time my local garage suggested that we would probably need the entire fuse board replacing but they were happy to try a temporary fix for a while as it didnt seem worth the expense and it has been problem free for nearly a year..I can live with ABS light.

Anyway, its also always had issues with being started but in the last few days theyve gone from being occasional to constant. When you turn the key, the engine fires and revs intially with your foot on the accelerator but then its as if the accelerator no longer exists and the revs drop and the engine dies. After many many attempts, some jiggling of the keys in the ignition, a tirade of abuse and the odd bout of violence it does eventually start in cloud of foul smelling smoke.

The car is old and has done 180000 but apart from these problems, she runs perfectly and at the last service it was suggested that the engine was still in tremendous nick so it would be gutting to be beaten by this.
Any help would be appreciated

Andy

Ihave the similar problem with my r reg 1800 20v sport passat, drives fantastic but starting in a morning is a real pain in the ****. will start first time but u have to keep the revs on or it will die immiediately!! it will also do this when left to stand for a while i.e goin the rugby, shopping etc. also does when steering is on full lock. does anyone know why it does this and how to fix it? did hear it could be the cold start injector, where is it? and how much to replace? Any ideas and solutions greatly appreciated.

buz1
20-05-2008, 10:47 PM
replying to those who have problems starting their PETROL PASSATS I've having similar problems with starting my 96 1800 20v sport but these 2 suggestions will be a good place to start. firstly check the Lamber Sensor its at the back of the engine and then check the Air Flow Regulator it houses 5 sensors within it but if the whole unit needs replacing a new one could cost anything up to £250, a good mechanic will show u where these are situated. hope this helps some ov u.